Please sign in to post.

Flights to Europe

I want to travel thru Germany and Austria in the next 5 months. Can anyone recommend the best/cheapest place to fly into. Are some airports usually better priced then others?

Posted by
32213 posts

jay, Frankfurt is a major hub, so you'll probably find a greater availability of flights and better prices there. However, at this time of year, there may also be some good deals to Munich, Berlin or Vienna. A check of the major booking sites should indicate the best options at the time you plan to travel. Cheers!

Posted by
44 posts

I'm interested in traveling anytime august thru september for two weeks, I wish I could search those sites for months at a time a find the best deal...

Posted by
9363 posts

Something's not right here. First you say you want to travel "in the next 5 months", then you say "anytime august thru september". "I wish I could search those sites for months at a time a find the best deal..." August is two months away. What's stopping you? Start now. You never know when a deal might pop up.

Posted by
6788 posts

"Best" depends on where you want to go. "Cheapest" is going to be the major hubs - Frankfurt comes to mind as one of the biggest, so you'll have most choices there. If spending less is a priority (and it sounds like it is), then you would probably save most by simply delaying your trip until after the highest peak of the peak season - July/August is the highest demand and the most expensive time to travel. Wait until the second half of September and you'll surely get lower air fares (and lower hotel prices, and the pleasure of not fighting crowds everywhere). Late September/early October is my favorite time to travel in Europe (not because it's cheaper, but because it's not as crowded, and the weather is generally still good).

Posted by
7036 posts

Jay, if you go to Kayak.com and click on MORE (at top of page), then click on EXPLORE (middle of page), you can put in your home airport (or wherever you fly from) and select a month (or season of the year). Then on bottom left of page select Europe and you can see prices for all airports and you can view them to see who offers the best deals.

Posted by
44 posts

It's sounds like mid sept or later is a good time to go, I was trying for late august because of school. I'll look around. thanks for everyones help

Posted by
6788 posts

"I was trying for late august because of school" Right. So does everyone else. That's how "high season" works. When everybody wants to go (July & August), things get very crowded and very expensive very quickly (and a lot of places get uncomfortably hot, too). OTOH, if you go in February, things are uncrowded and less expensive (although the weather may be awful and some things may be closed or have limited hours). The trick is to time your trip so that you go when the worst of the crowds have gone back home, but you still have decent weather. Lots of experienced travelers have found that the best time to go to Europe (and other places that are too popular for comfort and budgets) is spring or fall ("shoulder season"). That doesn't always work for everyone, but if you can swing it, you can have a much better, more pleasant and less expensive trip.

Posted by
3696 posts

Delta flies direct from Detroit to Frankfurt. Its not a bad flight and I prefer direct if I can get it. They also have a number of good flights to Amsterdam and Paris. Just check the rates. There might be a big enough savings to do a different flight from another city to Germany, or take a train.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Jay, I like flying to or from the Flughafen airport of Frankfurt, or the airport of Munich. Flights from the United States of American to the Flughafen airport of Frankfurt were often lower priced than flights from the United States of America to any other airport in Germany. And, for some flight dates the prices for airline tickets for flying to Munich can be approximately the same as the prices for airline tickets for flying to Frankfurt. Some of the internet websites that show the prices for flights of all of the airlines flying from the United States to Europe will let you tell them the price that you wish to pay for airline tickets (flying from a specific airport to a specific airport) for a specific date. If a price for airline tickets will be that price, with any airline, that website will inform you of that, via E-mail. As the others said in their replies here, all available airline tickets for flights to Europe in the month July and August have extremely high prices this year. Some airlines have been known to greatly lower the price for airline tickets for a flight to Europe, 2 or 3 days before a flight date. I do not know if that will happen. I guess some people in the U.S.A. get a flight to Europe, for a lower price, on a "standby" basis for an available seat in an airplane. But I do not know if any airline continues to do that for flights from the U.S.A. to Germany. In my experience, prices for airline flights from the U.S.A. to central Europe were substantially lower for flight dates after October 15. You could fly to Frankfurt, and from Munich.

Posted by
44 posts

I have to agree with many of you, flying after septer 15th the prices to seem to be much lower. I will start looking for trips in mid september to late october

Posted by
199 posts

Hi Jay, you should also check the fares for flying out of Flint (Bishop International) too. There's a chance they maybe cheaper than flying out of Detroit. Then again they will probably make you transfer to your international flight at Detroit Metro. Flint's airport is not much more of a drive if you live in Oakland or Macomb County. Good luck.

Posted by
33 posts

We saved a ton of money, AND got nonstop flights to Italy by flying out of Montreal. The time (due to no connections) and money savings more than made up for the two hour drive from home. We flew Air Transat. Just something to consider... The flights were more than $300 less than from anywhere in the US, for June. Looks like maybe you'd be 3 or 4 hours from Toronto?

Posted by
44 posts

Jay,
Hey at least your close to the Detriot airport so leaving from a big airport like that can also help to make your ticket cheaper. I live in Mississippi so there not so many flights. Keep us posted about your plans.