Please sign in to post.

Copenhagen Card

Is a Copenhagen Card worth it? Can I order online and pick up at airport?

Posted by
11294 posts

As with any city card, you have to add up the cost of the things covered by the card that you will definitely do, then see if the card is a good deal. If it's close, I always get the card, since I'll probably do some extra things I wouldn't do if I had to pay for them, but will do if they're "free" (already paid for in the card price). In general, the Scandinavian city cards are good values. You'll see lots of "locals" (actually, people from other parts of the country visiting the city in question) with them. For instance, in Stockholm, almost all the people with Stockholm Cards were Swedes - who knew a good deal for their capital when they saw it. And in my notes for Oslo, I wrote that the the Oslo Card for 3 days was $50, but I used $75 worth of value. I haven't been to Copenhagen since 1991; I definitely got a 3 day card and used much more than its value, but I have no idea if that would be true today. At the time, it covered not only the city, but most of the region, for both travel and admissions. I saw "Hamlet's Castle," Fredriksburg Castle, and the Louisiana Museum; all travel to these places was covered (trains and buses), and I believe the Louisiana Museum had a supplement, but all other admissions were covered. However, when my friend went with his partner and his father, they saw only a few museums and took some cabs (meaning fewer buses/trains/metros) and didn't go out of town. He didn't buy a Copenhagen Card, and said it would have been a total waste of money for his itinerary.

Posted by
12172 posts

We used the 72 hour card. The price was equivalent to a transportation day pass plus about $15 a day (the price to get into Tivoli, which is included). I figured using any of the other free entries made it a money saver. We purchased at the airport TI then took the train downtown (free with the card). The only thing I would consider is taking the metro downtown instead, if you are staying in the north part of Copenhagen.