Please sign in to post.

First timers

We are planning a trip,in latter part of October 2008,to begin in Amsterdam,boat ride to Austria and then train ride to Italy any info you could give would be helpful.

Posted by
1449 posts

since the OP lives in WA, she could drive down to Edmunds and take one of the free travel classes offered by Rick Steves company, also browse the bookstore and get some books.

And in January 2008 there is an all-day travel festival.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all so much. You have been helpful and as we are traveling with 3 possibly 4 other people I have sent your info on. God bless you all and Happy New Year.
Sandra

Posted by
203 posts

You will get more helpful information if you can ask more focused questions. First of all, buy or borrow Rick Steves' book Europe through the back door. Buy or borrow the Rick Steves DVD's. They give great information and are a lot more enjoyable to watch than any other series in my local library. If you want hotel recommendations, set a budget. With the fall of the American dollar, there are no bargains in Europe. When I travelled to Europe in 2002, the Euro cost about 92 cents. Today it costs about $1.50. The cost of rooms varies. On a recent trip to Germany I found that a nice, not luxurious, room costs about $120-200 per night. If The Deutsche Bahn train website (linked on this website) is a useful trip planning tool.

Posted by
3580 posts

Late October is late in the season for Northern Europe (Amsterdam, Austria) and some things may not be available. I assume the boat ride is to be on the Danube. Check (Google) to see if boats are running that late. It is good that you don't have a dozen "must see" places on your list as many first-timers do. My advice would be to go earlier or skip the boat ride. Maybe just visit Amsterdam and Italy. You don't say how long your trip is or where your flights from the USA are to/from. I've been in Paris and England in late October and it can be cold. I would go to Italy if late October is the only option.

Posted by
486 posts

Unless Italy is a visit to the "Old Country", I would consider saving it for another trip. Don't spend your vacation traveling. Stick to Holland and Austria if you want to do the boat thing.

We never thought we'd ever make 13 trips to Europe but we did do the right thing by assuming we would go back even though visiting the home country was saved for the 13th (over 18 year span). Our only regret? Not making the trips long enough.

Remember the Topic name you gave: FIRST TIMERS. It means you will want second, third, ...