Please sign in to post.

Medical Insurance for Europe

Does anyone know of a company that just issues medical and evacuation insurance for European travelers? The one company I found has an exotic formula based on the travel related expenses you have already incured. Somehow it didn't "smell" right and I can just see them finding a way for me not to be covered. I'm not worried about losing my travel expenses (I'm using frequent flyer miles). I just want to be covered in the event of a medical emergency. Any suggestions?

Posted by
32220 posts

Bob, My first suggestion would be to talk to a Travel Agent or Insurance firm, as I'm sure both would offer Medical Insurance. You could start with Elizabeth Holmes Travel in Seattle (1-800-588-8361). You could also contact The Insurance firm that RS tours use. If you happen to be in the Edmonds area, stop by and speak with Rick's travel experts at ETBD, as I'm sure they will have some good ideas. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
693 posts

I've seen insuremytrip.com recommended on this board as a comparison site for various companies. I use American Express for medical and evacuation insurance. To be covered for existing conditions with them you may not have any new episodes or medications for 60 days (or was it six weeks?) prior to the trip. However, you don't have to purchase the insurance that far in advance. You can cancel it when you come home. It kicks in x miles (can't remember the exact number but I think it was below 100 miles) from your home when you leave. The cost is very reasonable, under $15/month for what I selected.

Posted by
9103 posts

The last place I would purchase medical/evacuation insurance is from a travel agent. They're going to steer you to a policy they get a big kick-back on, and try and force a lot of add-ons you don't need. I've been using this company for several years now: http://www.medexassist.com It's one of the largest travel insurance frims out there.

Posted by
2091 posts

Bob, we've had medjetassist.com for several years now. Admittedly we've never had to use it but it seems like the right one for us.

Posted by
9363 posts

Check with www.insuremytrip.com. There you can compare lots of policies from several companies and buy one that only covers what you need, without a lot of added coverage that you don't.