Please sign in to post.

First Time Traveler

I've never traveled outside of the US before, and can honestly say that I don't know what to expect. I'm in my early 20's and will be traveling with my boyfriend and his family. We are going to places such as London, Paris, Amsterdam, and other places in the Netherlands. What are some need to know tips that I should keep in mind?? Thanks!

Posted by
32322 posts

Tiffany, As this is your first trip to Europe, I would highly recommend reading Europe Through The Back Door prior to your trip. It provides lots of good information on "how" to travel in Europe. Check the country-specific Guidebooks for good information on sightseeing, transportation, etc. in each of the places you'll be visiting. You should be able to find all the books at your local Library. When will this trip be taking place? Will you be going to other cities besides the ones you mentioned? What sights are you planning to see? Cheers!

Posted by
9092 posts

All you need to know is that Europe is distinctly unique. All 3 cities you've noted will be loud, bustling and vibrant. Good public transportation in each. Tips? Pack light. Take power adapters. Best to Skype. Don't expect a Starbucks on every corner (although London is falling prey to them). English maybe spoken but not the primary language in each country. Be polite. Show patience. Food will be different in each country. Train travel is a norm. Hotel rooms will be smaller. En suite means the bathroom is in your room, not down the hall. Wear a money belt and comfortable shoes. Lastly, take the time to buy and read Mr. Steve's books on London, Paris and Amsterdam. You'll be surprised how much pertinent and practical information is contained within the pages. Good age to see Europe for the first time. Eye opener, memory maker.

Posted by
12040 posts

"What are some need to know tips that I should keep in mind??" We would love to help, but that's about as vague a question as you can possibly ask. Be more specific and perhaps we can provide some better advice.

Posted by
3 posts

The trip is actually taking place next week and we will be in Europe for about 2.5 weeks. I don't know all of the places that we are going because it isn't something that I have planned. I'm more or less just going along for the ride as it was a graduation gift to me (which I am very thankful for). And as to being more specific or asking more specific questions, I don't know what to ask or how to be more specific because I don't know the specifics of our trip for myself...
The tips that have been given though are rather helpful.

Posted by
32322 posts

Tiffany, A few more tips.... > You might want to pick up £50 and €50 prior to your trip. That will give you some money for to buy a Coffee or a meal until you get settled at each location. > Are you taking an ATM card? Note that your travel funds must usually be in a chequing account with a four-number PIN. > Are you planning to take a Cellphone? If so, which network are you with and are you using a Smartphone such as in iPhone? > Are you taking any other electrical / electronic devices (ie: digital Camera, Hair Dryer, Straightener)? Have you checked to determine whether they're designed for use on 220 Volt electrical systems. > Have you bought any Plug Adapters yet? You'll need two different types, one for use in the U.K. and one for the Euro countries. > Will you be using a Money Belt? That's HIGHLY advisable, especially in Paris. They're worn under your clothes and are NOT to be accessed where anyone can see! Keep your daily spending money in a pocket or whatever. The Money Belt is only for "deep storage" of things like your Passport, credit cards, etc. > Has everyone checked the expiry date on their Passports? > Will any in your group be taking Guidebooks to plan touring? > For the visit to Paris, you may want to buy a Paris Museum Pass (depending on which places you'll be visiting), as that will reduce your time waiting in queues. > If you'll be buying rail tickets at Amsterdam Central, they ONLY accept "Chip & PIN" credit cards. As you likely won't have those, be sure you have enough cash on hand. If the trip duration is only 2.5 weeks, it's not likely you'll be visiting anywhere else, as you won't have time. Cheers!

Posted by
517 posts

My top tip (seriously): Read up on the history of Europe before you go. Everything will be so much more meaningful and enriching if you know what you are looking at and can put it in context. There are some amazing "aha" discoveries to be made, and it doesn't have to be dull. I like to recommend "A World lit only by Fire" by William Manchester. It's lively, accessible and (I thought) fun: http://www.amazon.com/World-Lit-Only-Fire-Renaissance/dp/0316545562/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337235847&sr=1-1 The knowledgeable gang on this message board can also recommend some good histories, novels, etc. that are educational, fun, and give you a sense of place. Really, that's my top tip. Can't emphasize enough how finding the right book will enhance your experience ...and possibly hook you for life.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
290 posts

Tiffany, Since you don't have much time until you leave, you might not have time to buy books and read them. But if you use the search feature on this web site you will find a lot of the answers that you need. Things that come to mind are: 1. Find out about tipping conventions in each country. Bottom line: I don't know of anywhere in Europe where people give the 15-20% that has become the norm in the States. Here in Italy, tipping is not even required at all (though we Americans tend to have "tipping guilt" and will leave something anyhow). I think in London you would leave about 10% but I am not positive. Best to search around for this info so that you are prepared and don't end up giving away more or less of your money than you need to. 2. If you plan to shop at all you may want to pack in such a way that you have extra space in your bag for accommodating your acquisitions on the return trip. 3. Keep in mind that restaurant service in Europe tends to be much different. Generally the waiters will not try to become your best friend or otherwise inflict their personality on you like they do at the chain restaurants back home. They will not hover over your table and bring you refills before you need them. They will not ask you how your food is and if there is anything else they can get you. Bottom line: if you need something, you flag them down and tell them - don't wait for them to come around. On the other hand, they will also not rush you out of the restaurant: they expect you to be there as long as you like, for hours even (in stark contrast with the American waiters who, after serving your main meal, the check on the table saying, "No rush, I'll just leave this here for you"...). 4. Pack lightly. With a multi-city itinerary like yours, you will be so glad that you are not dragging around heavy, enormous suitcases. Good luck and enjoy!

Posted by
290 posts

Tiffany, A couple of more money-related things. One poster here recommends you get money (pounds and euros) before coming to hold you over until you get settled. I personally do not recommend this because American banks often charge terrible exchange rates and conversion fees and it is just a waste of money. Not to mention the fact that unless you have a major bank in your town, a lot of banks have to send away for the money and it might not be available for you in a week's time. What I always do personally is just go to the ATM in the airport. Just BEWARE that many airport ATMs will attempt to give you the option to "lock in" to an American dollar amount or a particular exchange rate. You can very safely IGNORE any such offer and just tell it to withdraw in Pounds or Euros this way you will get the better exchange rate set by Visa or Mastercard (whichever symbol is on your card), than the one the ATM machine wants to charge you, which is simply designed to enhance their profits. But something very important is for you to call your bank and your credit card before you leave and tell them the dates and places of your travel. Just tell them you want them to put a note on your account that you are traveling so that they don't block your cards. Not all credit cards require this anymore, but I still call anyway, because if they see that you are charging outside your usual area, and if the area where you are presently charging is noted for fraud, they could well block your charge and put you in a difficult/embarrassing situation unless you have notified them in advance of your plans. Just call the numbers on the back of your various cards, speak to a generic customer service representative, and tell them you want them to make note of your travel.

Posted by
441 posts

Tiffany, You have a great adventure awaiting you! If you travel to other states, things are pretty much the same but in Europe, traveling the same distance means a different language(though most speak English in the bigger cities), different customs and a different "feel". Please read Europe Through The Backdoor. I'm retired now but I wish I'd paid more attention in history classes. I'm trying to catch up now. One of the things you'll notice is the age of the buildings. We don't have anything like it. Enjoy!

Posted by
209 posts

The tips you have gotten so far are great. I'd add these: 1. Take the time to learn to say please, thank you, excuse me, hello, goodby, yes, no, and toilet in French and German. It won't take you long especially if you use the four at every opportunity. 2. Do get a copy of the itinerary before you go. If you get separated from your group, you need to know where to find them next. Make copies of your passport and hide them in a few separate places. Take a travel guide of your own. 3. Get a money belt to wear under your clothes and use it for your passport, credit cards and any money you won't be using that day. 4. If you have a kindle or nook, fill it with art history and other history about where you are going. It'll make great train and plane reading. 5. Pack very very light. One carry-on is plenty.

Posted by
2193 posts

Great suggestions already. For a first-time traveler, I like the idea of getting a copy of ETBD and bringing it with you. Europe 101 is really great, too, because it helps to educate travelers just a bit more on what you're actually experiencing in these great cities. I have a copy, and it's a little heavy...printed on better stock, but it's a good one since your trip is so close and you may not be able to do more in depth advance reading like Thomas was suggesting. The Best of Europe might be another good guidebook for you. There are lots of good guidebooks besides those offered through Rick Steves, but I think a first-timer can use nothing but his books and the itineraries he suggests and have a really excellent trip. Have fun, and congratulations on your graduation! BTW, it's always sort of fun to watch a few episodes of some travel shows to get you pumped for your trip – Rick Steves, Samantha Brown, and Rudy Maxa come to mind.

Posted by
565 posts

You are going to have a great time. A few tips I'd like to share: Try foods you would normally never eat at home. You more than likely will enjoy them! Paris is the culinary capital of the world for a reason. I recommend mussels, salmon tartare, or a veal dish. I mean, how often do you eat veal in the US? If you don't like to walk, stay at home. Get a good pair of shoes (I personally like Adidas-they have some very stylish non-white ones) and break them in a bit before your trip. It's ok if you want to do something that the rest of your group doesn't and vice versa. You don't need to spend every waking minute with them, but be sure to meet up for dinner or another meal and tell stories of the day's events. While you need to be aware of your surroundings, don't be scared. Don't fall for scams like 3 card monte or a commotion in the streets. Always keep a hand on your bag and keep your head up. But really, don't freak out about getting ripped off. It probably won't happen. Almost all the museums in London are free, but everything else is ridiculously expensive. It's ok to eat sandwiches and Thai noodles for the time you are there. Learn basic French and Dutch phrases. You will almost always be responded to in English. The most important? "Pardon Me." Please be polite and don't speak loudly. Listen to these wise sages here. They know what they are talking about! Emily

Posted by
571 posts

Tiffany, I hope you're not too overwhelmed with all that thoughtful, sincere, and good advice you're received from these seasoned travelers. It's good to read it all, see what applies to you, and use it as best you can, but you don't have to memorize everything! My only piece of advice is to have an opinion about what YOU would like to see in these places. Read up, watch a TV show, or check out the internet --whatever your style--- but have an idea about these places and what you would enjoy seeing and doing. It's great to be "along for the ride," but you're also an adult who is fortunate enough to get to see these places early in life. Make the most of it. Everybody's interests are different so it always stinks to be stuck following someone else's itinerary. I'm sure you'll mostly spend your time with the BF and his family, but be sure to put in your two cents about what you'd like to see and do. And most importantly.....ENJOY!

Posted by
121 posts

1. Use your Debit or Credit card to withdraw money from ATMs. Not many places will accept travelers checks anymore and those that do will charge you a limb to do it. 2. Call you Debit/credit card companies before you leave so that they know in advance that there will be overseas use. Failure to do so will likely result in a "red flag" to your account and they will freeze it, when you use the card in Europe. 3. Don't try to do EVERYTHING, you can't. You will run out of time or will be too overwhelmed. Pick one or 2 must do's per day; then just let your nose take you whereever. 4. Take time to just relaxhave a beer in a pub, talk a nice leisurely walk around town to just look around, have a picnic, etc.
5. Like any vacation, be flexible and just go with it. Just like in the US, or anywhere, you may misplace an item, spend way too much on a souvenier, break your camera, get to a museum to find it closed....etc. Things go wrong on vacation...but how you respond to it is up to you.

Posted by
251 posts

Hi Tiffany, Hope you have a great trip. Everyone has given you great advise. I have just one thing to add, take a good attitude with you. There are bound to be some unexpected delays or things don't go just as planned. If you can "roll with punches" you will have a much better trip.

Posted by
14775 posts

Hi, First of all, you're going over at a great age... in your early 20s. That's when I did it and have been addicted to going ever since. You've gotten very good comphrensive advice here, as pointed out above...one thing I can advise: don't panic if things go amiss. Beides, you're not there alone. If the Europeans can travel from country to country in Europe, so can you!

Posted by
307 posts

All great tips and advice so far.... since it appears that everything is planned for you, and you're just along for the ride, here's my advice... accept that you are going to places that are different in many ways culturally than the USA. Just absorb and appreciate these differences rather than try to compare them to what you're used to( you can do that when you get home...lol ). It's what makes travelling so interesting, seeing how other people live. Also, when dealing/interacting with people, think of yourself as an ambassador for your country, and be polite and courteous. It makes a world of difference in how you will be treated in return. Perhaps search the web and learn how to say hello and thank you in dutch and french...But overall, just soak up the experience!!! You're going to have a great time!!!!

Posted by
1633 posts

Sounds like a great trip is planned for you. As previous posters have indicated, pack light. Because of the variety of weather you may experience, take clothing you can layer. A lightweight rain jacket would also be good. I take lightweight, nylon (lululemon) type long pants instead of jeans which can really weigh down your suitcase. I do not take any "fancy" type clothing or shoes. It just isn't necessary. Rolling my clothes and packing them in packing cubes (can be purchased at REI) enables me to find them quickly and keep them organized. If you can, and want to, check our the grocery stores and try some different breads, meats and cheeses. I like to buy stuff for a picnic lunch. I also get my water, wine & beer there. It's fun to see the variety and experience their food. Most of all, Enjoy the experience. Come back to us upon your return and tell us how it went. We have a special section on this forum now called "trip reports". Have a great trip!

Posted by
32322 posts

Tiffany, "I personally do not recommend this because American banks often charge terrible exchange rates and conversion fees and it is just a waste of money." The conversion fees for $50 are not going to "break the Bank", even if you obtain the funds from your local financial institution. It doesn't matter whether you obtain foreign currency from your local Bank or from an airport ATM. DON'T use the airport currency exchange offices though, as the rates are usually really bad. There are two "schools of thought" here regarding whether or not to pack along some travelling money. I firmly believe it's a good idea, so that's why I suggested it. As the previous post mentioned, smaller local banks may have to order foreign currency, but larger Banks should have some on hand. I'm able to access a four-currency ATM, so it's easy to obtain cash prior to trips. If you'll be using an ATM card, be sure your travel funds are in a chequing account and notify your Bank that you'll be travelling abroad so they don't "freeze" your card!!!

Posted by
357 posts

I agree with the poster who advised you to read about the cities you will be in and consider things you might like to do, even it's just one thing in each city. There's nothing worse than returning from a trip and discovering something cool that you would have loved to see, only you didn't know it existed. I would also try to find out the planned itinerary so that you can read about places/activities your hosts have planned so you don't go in blind.

Posted by
559 posts

Hi Tiffany, all great tips so far. The only other one you many want to consider is before leaving each hotel for the day, grab one of their business cards from the desk. That way if you get lost or get back late at night, you will have the street address of the hotel (in case you need a taxi). I don't think you'll have much concern since most places you're visiting have many English-speaking people to ask, but it never hurts to have it handy. Have fun!

Posted by
10545 posts

I agree with what Gretchen says. Always know the name and address of where you are staying. Last October when I was in Paris with a friend we got separated when she got on the RER train and the doors closed before I could make it on. We were going to the Eiffel Tower and I motioned to her to get off in 2 stops. I took the next train and found her, petrified, at the specified stop. Although I had given her an itinerary with all our lodging information, she didn't have it with her. She had no idea what street our apartment was on or even what area it was in. She didn't have a phone, and mine wasn't working. Always know where you are staying so if necessary you can take a cab there if you get lost.

Posted by
1010 posts

I suggest you get a Capital One credit card. There are no transaction fees when used overseas. Most other credit cards charge you transaction fees. They can add up. We always go to the Travelex store near our home to get currency and a Cash Passport debit card. If the debit card is used illegally or lost, you get an instant reimbursement. Travelex is also located in most airports. Travelex is a good company to deal with.

Posted by
989 posts

Tiffany - It was smart of you to ask such an open-ended question. You're getting a lot of great tips that span a wide variety of topics. My advice - try to get some sleep on the plane on the way over. Then stay awake as late as you can on your arrival day; You usually adjust to the time difference more easily if you don't nap on the first day.

Posted by
2788 posts

Capital One Credit Card is in fact a credit card not a debit card what you would want to use to get local currency for any of the numerous ATM machines that are found almost everywhere in Europe today. Travelex may be convenient but that and a pre-filled card are by far the most expensive way to get local currency. Get a DEBIT card tied to a CHECKING ACCOUNT from a financial institution with low transaction fees (my credit union charges 1%) and use it to get local currency and try to pay cash as much as possible as it will force you to budget and you may get cash discounts that are often offered in Europe. Be sure to tell whatever place whose plastic you are taking of where you are going and when so that they do not shut off your card while you are over there. We each also take a debit card from different financial institutions just in case something unusual happens to either one of them. Happy travels.

Posted by
23548 posts

If considering Travelex I would caution you to look closely at the fees that they charge. In my experience Travelex tends to be expensive, in the range of 10% or more, and offer no really advantage over a standard debit card.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you to everyone for such wonderful tips and need to know info!! It really is a tremendous help, and I really appreciate everything.
It is a lot to read and go through, and may be a bit over-whelming, but I'm getting through everything and picking through it all. =)

Posted by
4412 posts

I don't know if you've ever watched Rick Steves' travel programs, but you've got time to watch ones that pertain to your cities. Click on the blue tab at the top of this page called "Rick on TV", then either go to Hulu (easiest, I think) or to his YouTube channel and watch his shows on London, Paris, etc. - there are more than one on each city. I also recommend his 3-part (3, 30-min episodes) 'Travel Skills' shows. (for those who think those 'Travel Skills' episodes a bit out-of-date, he's filming new ones for the Fall 2012 season) The Hulu episodes, especially, are in no particular order, so just flip through them (you might write down the names of each episode you want to watch; the episode order can change with each time you go to Hulu). I also strongly recommend reading "ETBD" - lots of good info for the first-timer, and a refresher for the 12th timer! Pack Lightly!!! Pay close attention to his packing segment...and perhaps pack an extra empty and flat (check-worthy) bag for checking souvenirs on the way home. Bring a small camera (don't forget batteries/charger!) and consider bringing a small journal. I always bring a small notebook (pocket-sized) and pen for jotting down notes (like, which metro stop to get off at, where we've parked the car, both in the USA and European parking lots) - you can communicate with people on paper, too; sometimes, that's easier than with words. You can also write down what you're taking pictures of, too ;-) Wear your money belt! Have a great time, and assume you'll return!

Posted by
4132 posts

Tiffany, Ken has given you the best advice. Both your and your boyfriend should read Europe Through the Back Door. Not a guidebook, a travel skills book. A whole book of tips. If you can only read one book, that is it.

Posted by
441 posts

Tiffany,
Have a great trip and be sure to give us a report when you get back.

Posted by
4412 posts

Tiffany, crazy question: Do You Have A (Current) Passport?!? The airport would be a really bad place to realize that you'd forgotten that little detail :-( Have Fun!!!

Posted by
53 posts

Tiffany. My advice deals with a different aspect of your trip. Be patient, talk to locals and other travelers from other parts of the world and learn that their is another way of thinking and doing in the world. Keep positive and dont try to 'bring' america with you. You are about to become more of a citizen of the world. embrace it and then bring what you have learned back home with you. Have many great moments!