Please sign in to post.

Paris to London

Buying rail tickets to take the tunnel. Do the tickets keep going up in price the closer you get to your dates? For example I am looking at August 12 to take the Eurostar over to London from Paris. Another question, the Olympics will be ending the 12th of August, will it be difficult to find a place to stay the day after the Olympics? I have no idea how long the airports or hotels would be jammed up after the Olympics, perhaps you might have some knowledge of that. Thanks
Sharon

Posted by
32322 posts

Sharon, Yes, the prices for the EuroStar DO increase as the seats are sold. As I recall, you can buy tickets starting at 120-days from your departure date. You might find it very helpful to have a look at This Excellent Website. Note that you MUST go through security and check-in at least 30-minutes prior to departure! Regarding your second question, I can only guess at what the situation will be like when the Olympics ends. I suspect a huge number of people will be leaving London at that time, so most of the traffic at airports and train stations will be "outward". Of course, there may be some people that want to extend their stay to tour London (or other parts of the U.K.) after the Olympics. As many visitors, Olympic officials, athletes and their families will be heading home, there should be Hotel vacancies, but I'd suggest contacting Hotels and pre-booking ASAP. Happy travels!

Posted by
11507 posts

Sharon, I bet places will still be booked up and busy, many people will stay an extra few days,, and its the summer anyways,, you haven't booked anything yet? I would get right on that immediatly.
You should have got your Eurostar tickets a month ago, I am sure the cheapest fares are probably gone but there may still be some reasonable deals,,check different times of departures. Best to buy from the Eurostar site, not RailEurope.

Posted by
33465 posts

As soon as the Olympics finish there will be the Paralmpics. Its a really big show this year. I read in the London Evening Standard paper that Coordinating Committee has block reserved 70% of all Intercontinental (Holiday Inn, Express by HI, Crowne Plaza, etc.,) rooms throughout the whole London metro area. Eurostar NEVER gets cheaper.