Please sign in to post.

Venice help!

OK we will be in Venice for two and a half days. Flying in from Paris and then leaving by train to Florence We are trying to figure out the things we should buy in advance and those not worth it. Museum Pass good for 6 mths looks like it would be worth it we would be visiting at least three of the places But not sure about the transport card.. we will take the bus from the airport and then use the vaporetto to get to our hotel How difficult is it to get the pass at the airport? How much will we actually use the vaporetto.. I know one can walk all over venice but I guess if we want to go to the other side of the island we would need to use the vaporetto.. I guess its like using a bus anywhere else.. we just did not know if it was worth the pass. we do plan to go to burano one afternoon.
Any suggestions would be helpful thank you!

Posted by
85 posts

I haven't been to the airport, so I can't speak to that, but buying the vaporetto pass was easy. Just do the math, and calculate how long a pass you need using the time of your last ride to the train station as a guide. For me, it was the 72 hour pass - I loved it, since it gave me unlimited rides (pays for itself quickly) on the Canal. In fact, I loved Venice and riding a vaporetto gawking at Venice so much, that I didn't go to as many museums as I had originally planned. Be sure to use Rick's Grand Canal audio guide - early evening is best, when the boats are less crowded after rush hour is over.

Posted by
217 posts

ok where did you buy the pass.. I am sure its worth it.. just not sure where to buy it.. Does anyone know if it can be bought at the airport along with the bus ticket?

Posted by
354 posts

A travel card can easily be purchased at the Venice airport, from a centrally located counter right before exiting the airport. Depending on your Venice itinerary, the pass can be worthwhile in several ways: you don't have to purchase single vaporetto tickets every time you want to move around; after a certain number of €6.50 trips, the card pays for itself; you can spontaneously hop on or off the vaporetto anywhere along its route; and, a travel card usually covers bus fare as well. Just do a little math based on your itinerary to decide which travel card (12 hr, 24 hr, 36 hr, etc.) is best for you.

Posted by
217 posts

online there is a vaparetto pass that includes one way trip by bus from the airport.. which we will be doing.. Does anyone know if that combo could be purchased at the airport? Is that the most economical way to go or is there a better way? I know one way I don't recall which is very long..We don't want the pricey water taxi.. but I thought there was even another way that was reasonable.
thanks

Posted by
15768 posts

At veniceconnected.com you can get some discounts on vaporetto passes and museums by booking in advance. There is also a list of pick-up points and hours. There is one at the airport that is open most hours. Some people use the vaporetto a lot, others almost not at all. I love sitting in the front on the grand canal and just watching Venice float by. Rick has free audio guides for Paris, Venice and Florence. There are pretty good, one is even for a vaporetto ride. If you want to take the Secret Itineraries tour in the Doge's Palace, you must book it in advance. Listen to Rick's audio guide for St Mark's Basilica for a hint on how to avoid the long line. Also try to time your visit there for around noon. From 11.30 am to 1.30 pm the mosaics in the basilica are floodlit and absolutely wonderful.

Posted by
665 posts

Barbara You asked for a cheaper way than the vaporetto. Yes there is but it only crosses the canal from one side to the other for approx. .50 a ride and you stand up. We have been to Venice 3 times and going again in October. The vaporetto ticket has more than paid for itself. As suggested by another poster go to veniceconnnected.com and you can get a transport ticket in combination with a musuem ticket. With only 2.5 days there is a lot to see and maybe just wandering the streets and back canals you will only use the vaporetto in getting to and from your hotel so keep that in mind as well. If you are going to Murano or Burano ( outer islands) the transport card pays for the vaporetto to these. Check out each card on line to see what best suits you. Have a great trip.

Posted by
217 posts

you guys are great... thanks for all the tips we will check out all and be sure to time things right to see the mosaics:) We were debating buying all before online vrs waiting till we got there I have so many things I am tracking that we paid for in advance as we are going to 7 cities and taking trains planes and automobiles:) THe more we buy in advance the more to worry about losing ect... Can one purchase ahead and the just pick up at the airport
I will check out the museum pass with vaporetto

Posted by
17232 posts

The " other way" from the airport is the Alilaguna water bus: Www.alilaguna.it/ There are two lines that go from the airport to various stops in Venice, including down the Geand Canal. It is not included in a vaporetto pass. Cost is 14 euro if bought online ( 25 euro for a retune ticket). We liked this transport into Venice as you get a cruise across the lagoon on your way. Alps, you only have to transfer your bags once. It is much more relaxing than the bus-vaporetto combo.

Posted by
217 posts

Thanks Lola that was it! I knew there was another way..so how do I get the tickets for that.. at the airport as well.. is it hard to find once we get our bags?

Posted by
17232 posts

Hi Barbara--the Marco Polo airport has been redone since we were last there, but according to the website the Aliguna ticket office are in the arrivals hall at the airport ( so after baggage claim) and also at the dock. If you book online you save one euro but you get a voucher which must be exchanged for a ticket, so you still have to go to the ticket office!