Please sign in to post.

Hair Dryer

We have been traveling for years now.
All of a sudden my wife now wants to bring a hair dryer with her, she is tired of never having one on our trips. What is a requirement in the electrical category of using a Hair Dryer from the US in Europe? The hair dryer is a 1875 watt, dual voltage with a switch for 110v and 220v. Can I just switch it to 220v plug it into the wall with a plug converter? or do I need a transformer? Thanks

Posted by
10545 posts

All you need is a plug adapter if it is dual voltage.

Posted by
810 posts

Yes you can just use a plug adapter, set it to 220 volts and you are set. The only other thing is that in many of the smaller and older B&Bs 1875 watts will challenge the wiring and yo may well blow a fuse. Last year we spent September in Europe and at least half the places we stayed at had hair dryers and most of them were in the 750 - 1ooo watt range.

Posted by
177 posts

yeah, we travel cheaply. most places don't offer hair dryers, if they do they are for rent.
I think we will bring the 1600 watt dual hair dryer in stead. thanks

Posted by
32322 posts

Frank, As the Hair Dryer has a switch to select 115 or 220 volts, all you'll need is an Plug Adapter specific to the countries you'll be visiting (UK or continental Europe). DON'T forget to check that the switch is set to the 220-volt position prior to use! Some travellers have reported that Dryers don't seem to work as well in Europe. The high wattage of the Hair Dryer you're using could be a problem in some locations, as you'll still be drawing as much as 9-amps. Outlets in some countries are fused at a lower value than that. How old is the Hair Dryer? You could also consider buying a newer dual-voltage model, perhaps with a Ceramic element. Check the Magellans website for some examples. If you happen to be out for a drive one day, they have retail stores in Santa Barbara and Santa Monica. Happy travels!

Posted by
32322 posts

Frank, Either one of the Dryers should work well in Europe, since they're both dual-voltage products. As long as the switch is set to "220-Volts", there shouldn't be any problems. However, there's no way to know what type of electrical systems will be installed in each of the Hotels you'll be staying in, or what amperage value the outlets will be fused at. The wiring in some buildings may be "old", and in those locations there could be problems using high wattage appliances (especially the 1875-watt model). As you're only 5-minutes from the Magellans store, I'd suggest stopping by and see if the staff have any comments or suggestions to offer. Cheers!