Please sign in to post.

VAT tax refund

I'm holding Malaysian passport, will be flying to Paris somewhere around June for vacation but I have plan a day trip to London by Eurostar. My concern is where should I claim my VAT tax refund(for eg. designer bags that buy in London) before i leave London and travel back to Paris?

Posted by
1840 posts

We have never claimed a VAT refund anywhere. Our thinking is if we are in a country we should be paying their tax. Also, when we are in a foreign country there are a number of services we take advantage of, such as free museums (sometimes), a doctor visit and prescripion (once, no cost). If you buy something in Britain with a credit card and have the shop mail it to your home address there is no VAT. If you are buying designer bags to resell I feel you should pay the VAT.

Posted by
1078 posts

You claim the VAT at the airport or port that you leave the EU from. For example, I purchased a ring in Antwerp, flew out of Lisbon, and the VAT was re-bated to my CC there. You need the purchase receipt with the VAT purchase along with the item and the packaging it was in. Really, it was pretty painless(once we found the desk!).

Posted by
10223 posts

I've had no problem getting the VAT refunded to my credit card when the purchases were in large department stores. You have to show the goods as you are leaving your last country within the EU, along with the receipt and official paper you need to turn in for the refund. You also need a stamped envelope.

Posted by
6 posts

Hi All, Thanks for all the useful info. There are still things that I need verification here; From what I understand as per your mentioned, even the items we bought in London , we could claim the tax refund at the airport(let say France) before we want to leave EU,right?
But if not mistaken me, UK and france VAT is charged at a different rate of %,right? Will I still able to claim it?

Posted by
3049 posts

why should someone pay a tax in a foreign country for services they (largely) won't receive? we pay taxes at home. no reason to get taxed twice.

Posted by
1078 posts

Yes, you can still claim it--the VAT I claimed for Belgium was different than the VAT charged in Portugual, however, I still got the Belgium credit.