Please sign in to post.

Shorts in Paris

Hi all, My husband hates pants and isn't thrilled about me telling him he can't wear shorts in Paris. Will he look really out of place (e.g., be a magnet for scammers) if he wears nice knee-length dress shorts and a nice polo?
Thanks!

Posted by
1589 posts

Clare, On the behalf of every single married man in the world, I give permission for your " fashion forward " hubby to step on out & strut through Paris. Have a great trip!

Posted by
872 posts

If the weather calls for it, I am certain he will be just fine in shorts. Just no white tennis shoes (note: this is a joke and not worth any responses). If scammers do target him, he isn't helpless. He can have a secure, unreachable spot for his valuables (like a moneybelt) and a "Non, Merci" attitude for those that approach him. Have fun!

Posted by
8709 posts

He can wear what he's comfortable in. Don't wish to presume but it's possible the accent with a southern lilt will give him away anyhow. He won't be alone in his clothing choice either. Seems knee length dress shorts with t's or polos (the golf course look I call it) is a travel attire staple for many these days.

Posted by
800 posts

If it is really hot and he doesn't care what he looks like and you aren't going to a nice restaurant, sure he can wear shorts. But I'll tell you that when we were in Paris last August, he would have looked very out of place because it was in the 50's and raining. The Parisians were wearing boots and heavy jackets! I was quite cold in the nice dress I brought for our fancy dinner. My husband was much more comfortable in long pants and sport coat.

Posted by
12040 posts

If someone is out to con your husband, shorts won't make a difference. He (and you no matter what you wear) will be readily identifiable as a tourist in shorts, slacks, jeans, a kilt or clown pants.

Posted by
518 posts

I saw a lot of European men of all ages wearing those 3/4 length pants that come just below the knee. I think women call them Capri pants. I am going to buy a pair next time I go. Like a previous poster said, it has always been too cold for shorts in all of UK or Paris.

Posted by
2349 posts

Please note that he should not wear the around-the-calf money belt with shorts.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and ideas. I certainly understand that despite dressing nicely, I will look like a tourist considering I will be at tourist locations taking pictures very similar, I guess, to how I can easily spot German and British tourists in South Florida. That's not what bothers me I'm proud to be an American ... despite not having a southern lilt to my voice ;) However, I do want to respect the French culture as much as possible and not come across as boorish or crude. I did notice in travels with a friend to Italy that he was accosted much more often (those bracelet makers were everywhere!) than me, and he wore Hawaiian shirts every day ... he also has a much friendlier face than me, though, so the comment regarding attitude is certainly well-taken. Thank you again!

Posted by
154 posts

There is nothing wrong with being a tourist! Locals of course can generally pick them out so don't hide. Be friendly say hello and thank you and wear comfortable clothes. It was rather cold to me in Paris last summer (how do you define cold? Above or below 70?) My cousin-in-law wore shorts loved the chilly air and was proud. Have a fab time! Don't worry so much about fitting in. Using good manners is all you need. And it sounds like from your post that you already possess those.

Posted by
11294 posts

Do have a look at that website Linda recommended, post # 39. You'll see lots of people wearing all kinds of things. Your husband can wear whatever he wants. But, be sure he takes warmer clothes than just shorts. You didn't say when you are going, but as said above, even in summer there are no guarantees about the weather. If you're used to Florida temperatures, you may feel COLD even if it's 70 degrees, and it will cool down at night.

Posted by
4132 posts

I agree with those who say that if it doesn't matter to you, it doesn't matter. But I also want to say that lightweight light-colored pants can be as cool and comfortable as shorts OR MORE SO, at least in direct sunlight. I offer this only for information not as any sort of fashion scold. Dress as you please!