Please sign in to post.

Cannot book Eiffel Tower Lift Ticket on line

Looks like due to some technical issue only one lift is operating, causing issue booking tickets on line. I tried buying lift tickets on line, but looks like they were all booked up. Does that mean we will have to wait in the long line to buy lift tickets? How bad can that be? We plan to go up the tower around 9pm in the evening so we can see views before and after sunset - how advance do we have to wait? Or can we get there really early in the morning, and buy tickets for 9pm slot? has anybody been there recently? Would appreciate if you can share your experience or workaround. Thank you!

Posted by
11507 posts

Go up the stairs. Its not so bad, and the lines are never that long. The stairs are wide and people can pass you so no need to rush. You can buy a ticket to go to the top from the second level , its a different elevator then the ones from the ground. The view from the second level is just as good in my opinion anyways. The line for the stairs is at the south foot, "Pilar Sud".

Posted by
10211 posts

Six hundred eighty-one steps. You'll have great legs afterwards.

Posted by
11507 posts

Its not that bad,, I did them for the first time when 45, and I do not go to the gym,, or jog, or do yoga,, or anything other then walking in my neighborhood.. and not weird speed walking, normal walking. And, I had smoked for 15 years( but had quit for many years )... so I think anyone can do them if they are remotely fit.. as I said it is not a race,, take you time, enjoy the perspective as you go up through the legs,, I did.

Posted by
893 posts

Recent accounts (from even the media here) - waits have been over 3 hours. Friends who were visiting opted to do the stairs. They took their time and said it was fine. The bonus is that there was no wait on the second floor to get an elevator to the top.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks everyone. So if the problem doesn't get resolved by the time we arrive Paris, I guess we will then just climb up to second level and go up to top by elevator. Now do I need to buy tickets for climbing up stairs and taking the elevator to the top?

Posted by
11507 posts

Yes you have to buy tickets to climb the stairs and you cannot do that ahead of time but waits are much shorter.. you go to the "Pilar Sud" ( south foot of tower) the line will move somewhat steadily so don't be too nervous if there is a line. Tickets for the top can be purchased on the second level,, not sure if you can purchase them when you arrive at the ticket kiosk for the stairs, somehow doubt it but ask.

Posted by
2091 posts

I'm searching for info for a friend, her husband and son. I just can't imagine an 8-year old boy climbing 681 steps and being happy about it! But I also can't imagine a child being happy about waiting in line for the elevator for 3 hours. For an early June visit do you all think it would help to be in line by 8:30 since the Tower opens at 9:30 in early June? (mid-June at 9:00) Any other suggestions?

Posted by
11507 posts

Darcy,, seriously, ,an 8 yr old, at that age they run around and play all day long, soccer, swimming, tree climbing, bike races,, they are fit and I and should be active. I saw kids racing ahead of their fat or tired parents! lol I was however able to reserve for July 19th,, so guess it does depend on dates and how far in advance. I would also predict that if one wanted to wait one hour instead of three then arriving one hour before opening and getting in line would be a viable compromise.

Posted by
2091 posts

Thanks Pat! and Emily, thanks for posing the question!

Posted by
22 posts

To give you some encouragement and comfort, Darcy: I got a reply from a person in another forum that his family, including his 3-year old boy, climbed up the stairs within 15 minute. According to him, it's 'a piece of cake' even for his 3 year old!

Posted by
2091 posts

Oh! that's even better news...thanks, Emily. I will definitely let my friend know.
I think I might consider the stairs too when we go next year especially since I'm not really fond of the extremely crowded elevators.