Please sign in to post.

Eurail Reservations

If you have a First Class Global Pass, can you reserve second class seats if both first class and second class seat reservations are available?

Posted by
23235 posts

Why would you want to do that? It is a first class pass.

Posted by
19091 posts

I can think of a couple of reasons: 1. First class reservations might cost more than second class reservations. 2. Someone else might be traveling with them, on a youth pass, which is only available in 2nd class, and they want to sit with that person. A second class ticket does preclude one from sitting in 1st class, but I don't know that a 1st class ticket precludes one sitting in 2nd class.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks. Cost of second class reservations sometimes cost a lot less than a first class reservation, so for a long day trip, it seems a reasonable idea.

Posted by
14499 posts

Judi, If you have a first class Pass, you may reserve in both second and first class, as mentioned above. The difference in price between first and second class reservations is considerable. I experienced it last summer. Going from Frankfurt-Paris 2nd class TGV or ICE was 10 Euro, in first class 25 Euro.

Posted by
6898 posts

Then why have a first-class pass if you will be riding in 2nd class to save money on the reservation fee.

Posted by
23235 posts

I agree with Larry. This is not making a lot of sense. Save more money and buy a second class pass.

Posted by
3049 posts

Not all Eurail adult passes are available in second class, guys.

Posted by
42 posts

In my case, the first class starts at $108 and the second class is $10. This is Paris to Basel with 4 days notice. That is a huge difference, not just a few dollars!

Posted by
32696 posts

Sorry, Cindi, this thread has been asleep for over a year. Judi has likely returned from her trip. Could you be more specific with your question?