Please sign in to post.

Visa Requirements

I am a US Citizen, and was in the EU last year from July 7th-October 3rd, just under 90 days. I want to go back to the Netherlands for more time now, but am confused with rules and regulations and the Schegen rule about staying 90 days in a 6 month period. I just want to make sure I am doing things correctly. I have a few questions, if anyone has an answer I'd greatly appreciate it. 1) If I was in the EU for 3 months from July-October 2011, am I legally allowed to enter for another 3 months starting in May 2012? 2) Is there any way to stay longer than 3 months without a work visa? My boyfriend lives in Holland, but we are not married. Thank you!

Posted by
23313 posts

1 - Think you are OK. The six month started when in entered in July, 2011. And you could re-enter in Jan 2012. 90 days out of a 180 day period. 2. Some countries have extended stay visa - for tourist, for studying, etc., Just check to see what kind of visa Holland offers. Generally you need to apply for the visa prior to entering the country.

Posted by
7571 posts

I agree, you are fine to return for up to another 90 days. Another way to look at the requirement is that in any 180 day period, you are limited to 90 days. As for a longer Visa, find the nearest Dutch Embassy and query them. The concern they would have is you showing up and potentially looking for work, which they will not want. You will likely need to provide proof of some type of income or financial support, possibly medical insurance, or other odd data (background checks, references, etc). Your boyfriend may be of help, he could inquire at that end and may have more sway in arranging a Visa as a sponsor. Having a place to stay and someone that may be able to provide for you financially helps.

Posted by
32861 posts

July 7th-October 3rd Actually the date Kristin has to worry about much more than the starting date of the last stay is the last day she was in Schengen, October 3rd. If she want to return on 1st May then we need to count back from then 180 days to see if it overlaps with October 3rd or before. 180 days before would be 3rd November, so by that calculation there should be no issue for the prospective stay. I'd work on a long stay visa if it were me but I would say that the chances of getting one so soon would be zilch. And you can't get one while you are there. So that's probably one to try before the next stay...