Please sign in to post.

Do I need a visa?

My friend and I are planning to travel in Europe for 5 months this summer. Our tentative and rough schedule looks something like: June 19: arrive in Dublin July 10/11: arrive in Southern France Mid October/November 1: return to Ireland November 19: return to Seattle. We're aware of the 90 days stipulation. What we're wondering is do we need an extra visa for our time in France? Thanks very much!
David Stasio

Posted by
32331 posts

David, As long as you're both travelling with a U.S. Passport, you won't need a Visa for visiting Ireland or France. You might find it helpful to have a look at This Website. Be sure that you're VERY clear on the provisions of the Schengen Accord and the 90-day rule, as penalties can be severe for exceeding the time limit. As it appears that your stay in France may exceed 90-days, you would have to apply for an extended stay Visa. I don't believe Ireland is included in the Schengen agreement relating to tourism, so if you limit your stay in France to less than 90-days and spend the remainder of your time in Ireland (or England), that should be acceptable. It's been awhile since I looked at the details, so hopefully one of the others can confirm that. Happy travels!

Posted by
7944 posts

If you are planning on spending more than 90 days in France, then yes, you need to investigate an extended visa. However, given the trouble and effort to get the visa for what looks like only a few extra days. I think I would look at more time in non-Schengen countries, maybe head to Ireland through the UK, taking your time.

Posted by
9369 posts

I'm with Paul. Just limit your time in France, or wherever else you are in mainland Europe, to less than 90 days, and you will be fine. Ireland isn't part of Schengen.