Please sign in to post.

London Pubs

We are looking for a good traditional london pub with traditional london food (shepards pie, fish and chips, bangers and mash --trifle) most pubs I am looking at may have one on the menu but then things like pasta and chicken parm! Then there are the gastro pubs which don't have any tradtional food
Any suggestions welcome!

Posted by
8701 posts

Pre Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey, and Nigela Lawson most of London's food was crap. London now prides itself on it's food offerings so the "traditional" blood sausage, bangers and mash, spotted dick, are becoming rarities. Far too many of the privately owned pubs have now been usurped by Youngs or Taylor-Walker. Get out of the center of London and try somewhere like islington, Camden, Wapping. I found the Prospect of Whitby (owned by Taylor-Wakler) in Wapping was a good mix of traditional and "new" food offerings. We went for the traditional Sunday roast. Enjoyable. Patio overlooking the Thames.

Posted by
217 posts

Looks good and a short walk from the wapping rail station.. thanks its on our list...

Posted by
8701 posts

Yes BUT it's a combination of light rail (DLR) bus and walking. Bit of a challenge for first timers but it is doable. If you MUST have fish and chips in a pub try the Red Lion on Whitehall just a few blocks from Parliament square. Mushy peas, fish and chips, Grandma's Cottage Pie and a very tasty Pork and Mash with leeks can be had at the Tea Clipper on Montpeiler off of old Brompton Rd over by Harrod's. Stroll through Notting Hill and then have lunch at Sausage and Mash (S & M cafe) on Brushfield Street. If you were to get out of the city center into more working class neighborhoods you might find a traditional pub with "Classic" food offerings.

Posted by
217 posts

Saw a wapping rail stop and google maps says 6 min walk to the restaurant from there... not sure what rail that is... one can just walk up wapping wall THanks for the other recommendations i will add them to the list... ! We don't have that much time in London - 3 1/2 days so not likely that we will be going much further out..

Posted by
1021 posts

The Grenadier in Knightsbridge. I've visited it a number of times over the past 40 years and look forward to returning this year. It has good traditional pub food and a good selection of beers. Not large, so be prepared to wait on a table, but if the weather is fair you can have a pint or whatever outside. Use fancyapint.com to find good pubs convenient to your lodging.

Posted by
32859 posts

I firmly believe that when I want fish and chips I go to a chippie. I quite like Rock and Sole Plaice near Covent Garden. Inexpensive tasty pies (and mash) and other tasty goodies (some less traditional) can be had at the chain EAT. There are plenty about...

Posted by
32859 posts

Wapping is a station on the new East London Overground line. It is at the north end of the oldest tunnel under the Thames. I would probably (and have done) use Shadwell DLR as it is way more convenient to get to from a tourist area. The East London Line isn't the easiest to hook up to.

Posted by
217 posts

thanks... yes I have Rock etc. on the list for fish and chips.. will check out EAT and the other places mentioned.. thanks a bunch!

Posted by
15133 posts

Instead of running around London looking for a plate of Bangers & Mash, why not just ask at your hotel for a local pub serving traditional pub food. And mention you don't want one catering to tourists. I don't know why people are so afraid to ask at their hotel for suggestios. They know their neighborhood, or at least they should. I've found some terrific smaller pubs that way not mentioned in any guidebook and sticking to the tradition of being a "local" and not a tourist mecca.

Posted by
217 posts

not afraid to ask at all... but like to get as much info as possible before hand. Sometimes hotels give good advice and sometimes they steer you to places that they are pushing for whateve reason.. I have had both experiences

Posted by
332 posts

My London hoteliers were from an ethnic group that shuns alcohol. I would not have thought of asking them for pub advice and would not have trusted their recommendation if it had been given.

Posted by
1829 posts

There are pubs everywhere and most do not have a website. Those that do food usually have boards outside showing their offerings. Just take note when you are walking around and pop in to one that takes your fancy. This site lists 450 of them by area. http://pubnetwork.com/central_london_pub_directory.htm The Museum Tavern, near the British Museum, does the sort of food you are looking for. http://www.pubs.com/main_site/pub_details.php?pub_id=149 Edit - I agree, fish and chips from a chip shop.

Posted by
15133 posts

Chip, I'd love to know what hotel that is so I make sure I never stay there. A hotel in London that can't recommend a good neighborhood pub is doing a disservice to its guests. And Barbara, why not tell us what area you're staying in case some here know of places in that neighborhood. Another vote for fish & chips in a chip shop--preferably with newspaper!!!!

Posted by
217 posts

I am staying in kensington but we will be out and about London touring we tend to eat light at night so more likely to do a pub for lunch when we would do pub food. All good suggestions will try chip shop I have looked at some of the pub sites and there are so many that it helps to hear of ome someone really enjoyed
So interesting desserts are called puddings even apple pie:)

Posted by
1986 posts

growing up desserts werre called pudding or sometimes 'sweets' (although thats usually candy).
also 'afters" Long time ago

Posted by
1829 posts

We still call "afters" pudding although I notice dessert is gaining ground. Not to be confused with steak and kidney pudding!!!!!!

Posted by
2023 posts

We enjoy these pubs for dinners/lunches: Grenadier, Nags Head (these two very near each other); Lamb & Flag; Olde Cheshire Cheese. NH & OCC have log or coal burning fireplaces burning in cooler weather. Our next trip we hope to visit The Grapes which is highly rated for food, tube is Limehouse I think so it is off the beaten path-at least the path we follow.

Posted by
3786 posts

I recommend Seashell of Lisson Grove for fish and chips. It's an old chippy that's been around for a long time. It's located not very far from where you'll be staying. http://www.seashellrestaurant.co.uk/ Someone else mentioned The Prospect of Whitby pub in Wapping. I wanted to tell you, it is a long way away from where you are staying. Look at a map of London, find the Tower of London, then look way east of that on the Thames. Quite out of the way from other tourist sites and museums. While it is very old and quaint, there are many other places easier to get to than this. Claudia is right; the food is good, the view of the river good; just hard to get to.

Posted by
217 posts

sorry said I was staying in Kensingon... forgot we changed hotels and I am at marriott Regents Park.. seems the rooms there are bigger and better if anyone knows good pubs nearby great thanks