Please sign in to post.

Driver's license?

Is it necessary to bring my driver's license to Europe if I absolutely won't be driving while I'm there and am being dropped off and picked up from the airport? Will my passport suffice? I'm trying to pare down the valuables.

Posted by
7900 posts

You will not need your drivers license, but I tend to bring mine along as a back-up ID, when on the street in a town and I do not want to lug my passport along or when asked to leave ID for an audio guide or similar situation.

Posted by
1521 posts

Renee, It's true that your passport is all that is required, however I always bring my drivers license also. There are many instances when you must leave some form of ID such as for an audioguide at a museum. I would much rather leave my drivers license than a credit card. I also prefer to have it as an extra "official" form of identification (just in case).

Posted by
19 posts

Renee, My wife and I brought our drivers licenses when we traveled to Germany last year, the thought of leaving them at home never even came up, and I'm glad we did. We wound up using our licenses to store our bags (backpacks) behind the security desk at a museum in Mainz, Germany. You know, drop off an ID and get a tag for your bags. Besides, it never hurts to have an extra ID on you for that just-in-case scenario. Happy Travels, Steven

Posted by
5678 posts

And, yes, you have no intention of driving, but what if an emergency comes up and you need to rent a car and drive? Does anyone remember the Icelandic volcano? Some people got home by driving to Spain. I don't leave home without it. Pam

Posted by
24 posts

Yes, bring it with you. Sometimes hostels will need to hold for your stay or if want to rent a bike.