Please sign in to post.

Question about Traveling to Italy in February?

I am considering a 10 day trip to Italy in the first week of February. I'll be in Rome, Venice, and Florence. My biggest concern is I think it may be too cold. Does anyone have feedback about whether it's too cold to travel to Italy in February?? Thanks.

Posted by
267 posts

My friend Google says:

"January is generally cold, with the freezing tramontana wind sweeping down from the north. January 29, 30 and 31 are known as the "giornate della merla" (days of the blackbird) and are supposed to be the coldest of the year.
A winter vacation has some advantages, however: once the Christmas holidays are over (after January 6), the sights are almost deserted and you will find a warm welcome everywhere. In hotels, low season prices apply.

Italians say that February is "corto e maledetto" - short and accursed. It can be almost as cold as January, although winter is traditionally held to be at an end if the weather is good on the Feast of Candlemas (February 2).
Again, tourists are few and far between and cheap flights and hotel rooms abound. "

(source)

Posted by
10344 posts

Those Italian destinations are not, on an "average" day in February, going to be "warm", although you might be lucky and hit it during an unusual time, who knows. And of course how cold is "cold" is relative to each person. To get long-term average temps for that month, click Favorite Links (above) then News/Money/Weather, this will take you to three weather websites, then enter those three cities and look for the February averages.

Posted by
14 posts

Depending on what you are used to in the Winter, Italy may feel a bit more mild. I found that the problem is not so much walking around outside, but sitting in an uninsulated, semi-heated stone church or pension. The masonry sucks the heat right out of you! Wear lots of layers.

Posted by
12172 posts

Italy will almost certainly be warmer than Baltimore in Feb.

Italy is perfect for winter travel in Europe. You avoid the hot, sticky, crowded and expensive summer months.