Please sign in to post.

Rome Hotel

Cheapest, cleanest and best locale?

Posted by
3 posts

Coming off the ship and want to specifically see the Vatican and the bottom of the collisium. Will only be in Rome one day. Can you walk from the Vatican to the collisium?

Posted by
23548 posts

Sure, it is easy. That is exactly what they were doing 2000 years ago -walking. The core of old Rome is easily walked if you are capable of two or three miles of total walking.

Posted by
9092 posts

Heads up Marlene. First up, PLEASE post on the To The Boot forum, specifically deals with ALL things Italian. Secondly, are you already there? Thirdly, if you are already there did you take the RS Italy Rome book with you and why are you just posting your questions now? About a mile or so from the Collosseum to the Vatican. I'd loved the walk but then I was smart and Googled a satellite POV of Rome and pasted it in my travel journal. Planning saves time.

Posted by
175 posts

Hi Marlene, When addd to the subject the five words worked for me. I'd try the "Aberdeen" just off Nazionale. Terrific location close to bus, train, metro and taxi service. Friendly, helpful staff, nice room, good breakfast. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
32322 posts

marlene, I agree with the others, in that your question is somewhat difficult to answer as "Cheapest, cleanest and best locale" are subject to varying degrees of interpretation. Unfortunately, my reply won't be as succinct. My suggestion would be to stay in the Termini area, as it's so convenient for transportation. Have a look at either Hotel Aberdeen or Hotel Sonya, both of which are in that area. You can easily walk to Termini in about ten minutes. It's VERY easy to get from there to both the Colosseum and Vatican via Metro. For the Colosseum, use the "B" line (direction Laurentina) to the "Colosseo" station (it's the second stop). When you exit the Metro, you'll see it straight ahead (be careful crossing the street). To get to the Vatican, use the "A" line (direction Battistini) to either "Ottaviano San Pietro" or "Cipro Musei Vaticani" (the first is probably better to St. Peter's). The Metro doesn't go directly TO the Vatican, but gets close. You'll have a short walk. Note that you'll have to pass through airport-style security prior to entering St. Peter's. If you're planning to go to the roof, there may be a queue. If you're claustrophobic, the climb to the roof may not be for you. WHEN will you be in Rome??? Happy travels!