Please sign in to post.

Itinerary assistance

My husband and I are planning our second European trip in early September. We will have approximately 14 days. Our first trip to Europe was on our honeymoon last May - we toured Italy and the Czech Republic. All in all, I think we did an OK job with that itinerary, but think we need some help this time around. We have friends in Northern England that want us to come for a visit (new baby involved!), so we do need/want to spend some time up in their neck of the woods. We then want to take the opportunity to do some more exploring. Our thought so far- Fly into Manchester (our friends live in Warrington, about half way between Manchester and Liverpool) 3 days with our friends (anything we should definately see up north?) 3 days London 4 days Paris 1day Bruges
3 days Amsterdam Let me know what you think we should change/consider. Anything we should take out completely? I wanted to spend a bit more time in London, but prices for hotels seem so high! any thoughts on cheaper accomodations? If we can make that work budget wise, we would spend another day and then maybe take out Bruges. Thank you for anything you can provide.

Posted by
3 posts

I should clarify that the new baby is the friend's, not ours. We will not be travelling with a baby, just the two of us.

Posted by
359 posts

I would choose to spend either the whole time in England (and maybe Scotland, ie Edinburgh) or do a 3 days visiting friends, 5 days London and 6 days Paris.

Posted by
9110 posts

I like it the way it is. Brugge makes a nice break from the bigger places.

Posted by
32216 posts

April, Your Itinerary looks a bit rushed, but "manageable". You won't actually have as much time in each location as listed, once travel times are deducted. A few comments and questions.... > Have you allowed for the two days you'll lose at the beginning and end of the trip for flights? You'll arrive in England the day after you depart the U.S. > How are you planning to get from Manchester Airport to Warrington? > London IS expensive but it's a wonderful city with lots to see. If you can manage the cost, I'd leave the visit at three days. > I'd suggest dropping one day from Amsterdam and adding it to Bruges. After you see Bruges, you may want to stay longer! > Plan your touring carefully in each location, so you don't waste ANY time. Especially in London and Paris, there are so many sights to see. You may find it helpful to get a Paris Museum Pass (perhaps the two-day version). It could be busy in September, so that will help to minimize queues. Happy travels!

Posted by
591 posts

The itinerary looks very good to me. The locations are close together so no more than ½ day travel between any of them.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for the feedback! Ken, regarding some of your questions - We have 17 days total for travel, so I cut that down to 14 days of actual sightseeing. Our friends will come pick us up at the Manchester airport. I know we are rushing a bit, I just don't want to cut down the three days alotted for our friends... I feel sort of guilty already only spending three. I'm hoping there will be sights to see in their area, I know it is not the most tourist explored region. (which has pros and cons really). I have been meaning to get over there to see them for quite some time and I do not want to do another foreign trip without getting there. My husband is most keen on Amsterdam and did not seem as excited about Bruges. So, appreciate the recommendation there... I will let him know. We did consider going to Scotland/Ireland, but- I really do want to see Paris. We have talked about having children soon, so... figured I need to jump at the chance to see my top list before that happens! Thanks again.

Posted by
32825 posts

There's loads to see in the North but you will need to say what your interests are: What do you like? Beatles Stately homes mines and industrial heritage villages walking fields walking lakes walking canals flowers gardens industrial country lanes astronomy tea-rooms magic shows seaside railways preserved railways
... the list goes on ... Also - one night in Bruges is a bit cheese-paring. By the time you get there and when you leave all you will get is an afternoon and evening. Doesn't really do it justice. You may be able to get a one-nighter at some hotels as long as it is not a weekend or school break. But most B&Bs there require a minimum of 2 nights. I feel that Bruges is best experienced via B&B.