Please sign in to post.

Tea in London

We would like to do "tea" in London. I have an extensive list of hotels that do formal tea but all seem to require a Jacket.. my H really does not want to bring a jacket just for that and he really won;t need it otherwise.. has anyone done tea in London where a jacket was not required?

Posted by
870 posts

We also did "tea" at the Orangery at Kensington Palace and enjoyed it. Lovely, relaxed place and no formal attire required.

Posted by
8679 posts

Of course you can do tea in London without a jacket. Heck people go to the theatre in jeans, tee shirts and sneakers. Such apparel can also be found at the The Orangery in Hyde Park and my favorite spot, Bea's of Bloomsbury. Both wonderful and affordable tea experiences. Enjoy.

Posted by
217 posts

All the hotels listed state Jacket and tie required so trying to find someplace for a good "tea experience" that won't require a jacket... The lanesborough looks good but does not say on their site if jacket required same for the Savoy... the wolseley does not .. I will check out your suggestions thanks!

Posted by
908 posts

I'd like to second Claudia's suggestion of the Orangery in Kensington Gardens. It's lovely, and quite filling too! Be sure to look at the schedule online: the one day I could have gone last September was one of the three or four days in the month that the Orangery was closed for a private function. http://www.hrp.org.uk/KensingtonPalace/Foodanddrink/Orangery

Posted by
2023 posts

The Wolsley may be your best choice. We had lunch there but others were having tea. It is a beautiful place. Fortnum and Mason is another possibility. We had tea at the Lanesborough but I think DH wore a blazer. Tea at Kensington, IMO, is not the perfect place-items are not served on the tiered tray, there is no music, no fine china, and it is noisy.

Posted by
6898 posts

The Orangery is probably your best bet since attire is an issue. What I notice in your reply above are the names of a couple of nice hotels. Ahh, we step up in price and have attire requirements here. My wife and I had a wonderful formal tea (not a high tea) at the Dorchester. Again, a bit pricey and a coat was required but we go over the top about 2-3 times during our vacations. This was one of them. The sandwiches and petit-fours, as well as the fashion show was quite nice.

Posted by
377 posts

If you really want to have tea in a hotel, you could e-mail the ones that don't have a dress requirement listed and just ask whether jackets are required. We're among those who have enjoyed tea at The Orangery. While I agree there was no music or fine china, it was quiet (perhaps because we weren't in the main room) and both our teas came on tiered trays. It's definitely not a formal place, though, so if that's what you're looking for as part of your experience, then you won't enjoy it as much as we did.

Posted by
377 posts

Let me clarify my remark, you won't enjoy The Orangery if you want something formal. I'm sure you'll enjoy a formal tea, too, if you can find a place that doesn't require jackets!

Posted by
217 posts

OK here is the menu for the Kensington Hotel...good selection.. anyone been there? The price is not as high as the other hotels The Kensington Afternoon Tea Menu SANDWICHES Pastrami, rocket and Dijon mustard mayonnaise Smoked salmon, horseradish crème fraiche Egg mayonnaise, mixed cress Cream cheese chive and cucumber Honey roast ham, piccalilli SWEET THINGS Toffee, date and pecan slice Summer berry crumble Glazed lemon tart Chocolate crème Brule Macaroons HOME MADE SCONES Warm homemade plain and raisin scones Cornish clotted cream Lemon and Passion fruit curd
Home made Strawberry and rose petal jam £25 per person

Posted by
217 posts

Thanks for all your suggestions - I will check out the Orangey again... for some reason I discarded that as an option but since so many liked it I will look at it again.. I am looking at Claridges as that seems to have a pricy but beautiful and tasty high tea:) and I head the same for the Dorchester.. MY H has a nice black travel suit from Travel Smith he can wear with a collared polo shirt but obviously not a "suit" but I have read now on several sites that even where there are dress codes some places don't enforce them I did email a few of the hotels which did not specify but have not yet heard back THanks again for your suggestions I will explore them I know the hotels are pricey but the question then remains how the other places for 10 pounds less compare... when spending that much anyway perhaps its worth going full out if the experience is worth it
I went to tea here in NYC in a lovely elegant tea room in a townhouse no music but the food was delicious..from the creative finger sandwiches and the pastries.. we were so full when it was done and bloated from all the tea! It was $40 and very worth it.

Posted by
217 posts

OK I looked back at the Orangery and I know why I discounted it.. the description indicated a limited ion of what you get.. "afternoon tea which consists of your choice of tea or coffee, cucumber sandwiches, a fruit scone with clotted cream and jam, and a slice of their signature Orangery cake. Each food option is brought out separately, which works out nicely since each individual's pot of tea contains enough for three cups. There is a wide variety of teas to choose from, so there's something for everyone, even if you don't consider yourself much of a tea drinker. The cucumber sandwiches are served with a mild cream cheese and are sort of bland overall. But since you're there for the pastries, it doesn't really matter! " I went to the website to see if there was more than cucumber sandwiches and could not find any info beyond the different types of teas. THe place looks lovely Do any of you recall the food.. beyond cucumber? I am not going there just for the pastries... for the price of high tea we are planning to go a bit later and this is basically dinner so something a bit more than just cakes and cucumber..
Don't get me wrong I know they are just little sandwiches and I do know what to expect.. but some list smoked salmon, chicken.. etc

Posted by
5526 posts

Browns Hotel has a very nice traditional afternoon tea and they list that there dress code is "smart casual". It has been about ten years since I had tea there, but it was a very nice atmosphere and I still see them recommended frequently on tripadvisor.

Posted by
908 posts

Barbara, if you scroll down to the bottom of this page (http://www.hrp.org.uk/KensingtonPalace/Foodanddrink/Orangery) you will find pdfs of recent menus, including one for tea. I don't remember which set-up my friend and I had, but we were definitely full afterward and decided to forgo dinner. Admittedly, it's been years since I was last there, but I do remember that my friend and I turned over our saucers to see what make they were because they were so pretty. I don't remember what they were, or whether they would be considered "fine" china, but it certainly wasn't the sort of industrial white plates you'd find in a cafeteria. That could have changed recently, of course.

Posted by
217 posts

Thanks will check out the link Browns looked good but is the highest price I found! THanks
I am now considering Kensington as they are about 25 but will check the menu at Orangery Thanks again for all the feedback

Posted by
32788 posts

It may seem a mountain from a molehill but it is important when speaking to your hosts to use the appropriate term for what you are looking for. "High Tea" sounds like the most fancy, but actually it is not. High tea implies hot food, usually a meat dish; usually later in the day around dinner time. The adjective "high" has often been lost in working class homes where the bread winner will talk about "going home to my tea" when they mean going home to the evening meal. "Afternoon Tea" generally means a lighter tea, with sandwiches, scones, and cake. The fancier places make simpler sandwiches fancier, the cakes scrummier, and the scones yummier. Afternoon tea is traditionally around 4 o'clock in the afternoon although that has slipped recently as places try to get more money through. Hotels tended to serve afternoon tea to little old ladies but have changed to serving the needs of tourists. The old high street tea rooms, such as you see in miss Marple TV, have mostly disappeared except in the countryside. Americans on this helpline like the Orangery at Kensington Palace. Interesting TimeOut which is the eating arbiter for Londoners isn't so sure. They list 37 places in their Afternoon Tea tag at http://www.timeout.com/london/search/?tag_id=4283&pageSize=50 Sorry I could not embed the link - the Helpline editor throws out links with question marks in the link.

Posted by
2776 posts

Barbara....this is from The Orangery Afternoon Tea Menu Signature Orange Tea £15.15 An assortment of finger sandwiches, signature orange scented scone with Cornish clotted cream and strawberry preserve. Finished with a hand-made afternoon tea pastry. Served with your choice of tea or coffee. Enchanted Palace Tea £18.35 Enchanted Palace chocolate ganache tartlet and raspberry shortbread, signature orange scented scone with Cornish clotted cream and strawberry preserve, and an assortment of finger sandwiches. Served with your choice of tea or coffee. Royal Champagne Tea £21.00 A flute of Champagne served with an assortment of finger sandwiches, signature orange scented scone with Cornish clotted cream and strawberry preserve. Accompanied by a luscious éclair and a St Clément's tartlet. Served with your choice of tea or coffee. The Tea Palace English Tea £34.50 A flute of Champagne, a selection of afternoon tea sandwiches, freshly baked mini scones served with Cornish clotted cream and organic preserves, a variety of dainty afternoon tea pastries. Served with your choice of tea or coffee.
Selection of Sandwiches £9.00 Cucumber, cream cheese and chive on poppy seed bread. Poached salmon and dill on onion bread. Sliced ham with grain mustard mayonnaise on sun-blushed tomato bread.

Posted by
217 posts

Nigel thanks for the clarification I did read the review you mentioned from time out and one of the reasons I hesitated. I was under the impression high tea was just more substantial than just sweets. That was why I used that term to differentiate but understand now the difference.
Thanks for the menu. It does have some more choices than cucumber I was really interested in the kensington now and wonder if anyone has ever been there. Reviews seem good and I like the menu

Posted by
2776 posts

Barbara....we usually go to The Orangery every time we are in London. We really enjoy it.

Posted by
655 posts

Tea is a good idea - you'll remember it always. We did tea at the Savoy. I didn't have a jacket, just nice clothes with a sweater. They were very nice to us, there was music, and the service was generous. Reserve on the website.

Posted by
15585 posts

Bea's of Bloomsbury only does a sweet tea: scones, cakes, and a big cupcake - their signature item. I thought the cupcakes were very "American" and nothing special but their scones were the very best I had in London. They are a small shop with tiny tables. I also had a very nice tea at Bob Bob Ricard - a very different atmosphere, booths, very comfy, almost elegant. A big plus for me was that they serve afternoon tea pretty much from morning til night - great if you want to see a matinee. No formal dress requirements.

Posted by
787 posts

Not to highjack this post, but I'm also checking out afternoon tea possibilities. We'll be there in May, and it will be the day after our 17yo son's birthday. He really LOVES tea, and afternoon tea, and would like to go out for afternoon tea for his birthday celebration. He likes each item: the little sandwiches, the scones, and the pastries. And the tea. He's vegetarian, but I'm assuming that he can just partake of the veggie sandwiches. I'd prefer to avoid the most expensive places, if possible. Hubby does not like tea, so ideally, a place where husband could order "regular" food would be great. In addition to the more traditional places, which our son may choose, I also came up with Sketch - The Lounge. It looks like a lot of fun, great decor, good tea, with the items that my son wants. (Doesn't take reservations, though). Any locals have any input on Sketch - The Lounge for a special afternoon tea, for me or the OP?

Posted by
317 posts

Tea in London is fantastic. If you are looking for someplace that does not require jacket & tie, try Fortnum & Mason.

Posted by
993 posts

Nigel, thank you so much for that clarification. I don't know how many times I and Robin Z have tried to explain that is is really Afternoon tea we should be talking about.
Barbara, I've had afternoon tea all over London. "Jackets required" places and all. I like Browns Hotel and my husband prefers The Savoy. He also like's Harrods. As it has been said, The Orangery is more relaxed and their scones are wonderful...they do not take reservations...you spend less money and get less food, which is not always a bad thing, and you're in and out a lot faster. And it has a better garden to stroll in than most places. I also try to go there every time I get to London which, sadly, is not often enuf. Not too hungry and just need a little something to keep body and soul together? Don't forget the humble Cream Tea.

Posted by
217 posts

Laurel Thanks, we are looking to have a bit more since we are (OK don't laugh) trying to do this trip as inexpensively as possible without sacrificing experiences we really want to have and may never have the opportunity to have again. So that said.. I think although Orangery is very popular we might consider other "teas' as we do plan to do tea at 4 and since we are early dinner eaters most likely will not do dinner so that is why don't just want sweets only. Browns is the most expensive I have seen. Savoy was on my top three also around 38 pounds... I was hoping to find one that would be around 24=25 pounds but substantial and good:) Most of the "best" ones seem to be in that 38 range there are some less but not so talked about like Kensington -menu and ambiance looked good from the website and they are about 24 but the websites always look good and it helps to read reviews of someone who was actually there.
Orangery is so very popular maybe we will go there for lunch one day:)

Posted by
27 posts

Once in London I attended an afternoon performance in a theater. An usher came by to ask me if I would like tea at the interval. I replied no. i was not familiar with the custom. I have been sorry about that for 40 years.
Now i would go for it no matter what the cost or food. It is the English thing to do!

Posted by
993 posts

I understand trying to save money. The National Gallery if free and afternoon tea is £16.98.

Posted by
15585 posts

Lexma - At Bob Bob Ricard, I asked to make substitutions. "I'm sorry, Madame, but we don't make any substitutions." I explained that I was a vegetarian. "Yes, Madame, for that we always make substitutions." While that was the only place in London that it came up, I imagine that every establishment will accommodate your son's needs.

Posted by
286 posts

The Orangery is nice if you just want to walk in an have tea (but you can do that just about anywhere in London!), but nothing terribly special and definitely not fancy. Check out www.afternoontea.co.uk for all you ever want to know about placed to have tea. You can even search by price.

Posted by
217 posts

thanks that is a great site and I did check it out an after reading a bunch of reviews I have decided upon the Kensington Hotel... the menu looks good and varied, they just went through a major renovation and it looks lovely plus its not as expensive as some of the other hotels --it was also described as relaxed so I will post upon my return about tea at the kensington

Posted by
1010 posts

Hello. My husband and I have done afternoon tea at Harrod's dept. store. You can take the tube right to the store (Knightsbridge stop). We were there in 2009, 2010 and 2011. When we were just there in September, they were remodelling the upstairs restaurant. The tea there is in such a pretty setting. The same area is adjacent to where they have a weekday lunch buffet, which is wonderful also. It is advisable to have a reservation. Once we were there, and it was crowded. We were told to come back in about 40 minutes. We just walked around the store and then we were seated after about half an hour. We also eat at the fod court on the first floor. Their fish and chips are delicious. The tea and buffet are both upstairs by the children's dept.. The food court is on the bottom floor. You don't have to dress up to go to the tea at Harrod's. Elaine

Posted by
7 posts

Hi Barbara,
I don't know your budget but when my husband and I went to London we had a high tea at the Ritz Carlton. I will never for get it, magnificent. Even my husband, who does'nt like tea, loved it.

Posted by
993 posts

Barbara, I was recently reading one of my journals. We once had Afternoon tea at St. Pauls. Checking today I saw that it is only £15.95!

Posted by
2776 posts

Deborah.....did you have an evening meal, with meat, potatoes, etc., at the Ritz's? If not, then you had Afternoon Tea...Afternoon tea is served in the afternoon usually 2-5pm with scones, finger sandwiches and pasteries. High Tea is an evening meal with meat, potatoes, etc., with tea.