Please sign in to post.

Moulin Rouge

Has anyone gone?? is it worth it and is the neighborhood ok for going home at night 11pm by train?
My H and I really want to go but most of the shows are at 9PM the neighborhood I understand is a bit seedy so was not sure if it was safe to go home from there at night.. we will be staying near the Eiffel Tower area

Posted by
800 posts

We were taken there by friends this sat September. I must say it was one of the most unusual things I've ever seen! So hard to ever answer the "is it worth it" question because everyone has different levels of income/spending. If I were spending the money only for the dinner, I'd say no-it was not the best meal you can get in France by far. But the show really is a spectacle and I'm sure I'll never see anything like it again! As for safety, my husband and I took the metro back to our hotel and felt perfectly safe. It is definitely a "seedy" area with strip shows, etc. but did not feel unsafe at all. All in all I'm very glad we did it once.

Posted by
1021 posts

I haven't been to the show, but did stay a night in a hotel a couple of blocks away several years ago due to a booking mixup by a travel agent. Blvd. de Clichy has sex shops scattered along it and I believe we spotted some evening working girls as well, but didn't feel unsafe as we wandered around exploring. I don't know about the Metro late at night. I think a taxi home would be the way to go. But you could go on TA Paris forum and see what the experts think.

Posted by
11507 posts

Barbara,, its alot of money for a totally unauthentic experience,, seriously, half the dancers are not even french( saw a documentry on that awhile ago) . I have been,,once, many years ago,, and even then I realized what a mistake it was.. the shows are not that great if you have ever seen a show of say Las Vegas quality,, and the food is nothing but banquet food( think your cheap cousins wedding). If you must go, they do matinees sometimes, they are cheaper then the dinner show, and then with the money you saved go out for a decent meal.

Posted by
15584 posts

This was years ago, but I was told by a Parisian who entertained a lot of business clients that they all wanted to go to the Moulin Rouge because they had heard about it, but that the Crazy Horse was much better. The area is seedy but pretty safe, just keep a tight hold on H's arm.

Posted by
2527 posts

Oh my, faint praise for the Moulin Rouge show. With an incredible array of sights and activities in Paris, why attend an expensive and per some, mediocre show?

Posted by
217 posts

ah seems somewhat mixed opinions... well we do not plan to do the food just the show so take that out of the equation We like things baudy and sexy
When I think Moulin Rouge I think can can.. I just felt like it was something I really wanted to see.. my H really really wants to see it:) but of course hes a guy:) But really I want to go as well.. Just the show should be much cheaper and the matinee is on SUndays and we have plans to go the French open so that left us with the night.and it was actually 5 dollars more for just the show at lunch...go figure .. so my H was concerned about the neighborhood safety at night and then going back on the metro even if we got a taxi not sure how easy it is to get one there... ...me with being sure 95 for the show was worth it but I guess that part is entirely subjective

Posted by
77 posts

I went to the Moulin Rouge for my 23rd birthday in 1965 when our travel bible was Europe on 5 Dollars a Day. Still have the card that was on the table. It says...."enjoy very much...But ...your drinks must cost a minimum of 35F per person" underneath is ..
"service 12% extra" It was worth it then....to celebrate my birthday with a champagne cocktail at the Moulin Rouge...that was all we could afford and no doubt blew our daily budget. For the past 15 years have been going to Europe every 2 years but never back to Paris...so don't know how it is now .... if you would like to go...GO! We plan on going back to Europe for a month in 2013...but @ 70 we realize there are lots of things we would like to see, that given our age we will never get to.......So if your husband and you "really want to go"....once again I say GO!

Posted by
46 posts

By all means you should go to see the Moulin Rouge show.
Just the show is the right choice as I have never heard anything good about the dinner. But the show is good, and worth seeing. The night is really all about the experience and partaking in something that has been a part of Paris for so long. Be prepare that it is a tight fit in the theater, so you will be very close to your neighbor at your table and all tables are close to each other. We also were staying by the "Iron Lady" and took the metro back to the hotel and were quite safe. Remember there are large crowds and for sure many will be returning to your area. Have a great time and enjoy the night.

Posted by
11507 posts

I was years ago, but didn't consider the show either sexy or bawdy,, boobs is boobs,, but if thats unusual and titallating to you ( haha good pun) then go for it.. you will see boobys.. but then when you get to Europe you will also see boobies for free on ads and billboards for soap, skin cream, bath salts,, etc etc..

Posted by
800 posts

What I liked about the show (seen Sept 2011) - The "unaltered" nature of the dancer's bodies. These were not strippers in any sense of the word. They were athletic women and, to my eyes at least, much prettier than the big fake balloon breasts I have seen on the naked dancers in something like The Sopranos. I haven't been to Vegas in 30 years so maybe it is the same there, but it surprised me in a good way! The sheer over the top spectacle of it all. The pink, feathered, topless costumes that light up all at once - how much more over the top can you get? The acts in between the dances. These were actually great! I didn't realize we'd get to see a "variety show" in addition to the topless girls. They were very good and we all laughed very hard at the ventriloquist act. What I didn't like - dinner was mediocre at best. Basically banquet food. Good wine though! The price (if we had paid it ourselves-we were taken as guests) - it IS very expensive. But so is Disneyland and I have no problem paying for that. The whole thing felt different enough to me to be very enjoyable. But again, I haven't been to Vegas to see anything like this. Could be they are very much the same. Does Vegas have a half-naked woman swimming with large pythons? Or shetland ponies prancing with girls in jockey outfits? Or how about politically incorrect depictions of "foreign" women in the good old days of French imperialism? I was a little stunned at what they got away with, but maybe I lead a sheltered life here. All in all I wouldn't call it sexy - but it certainly kept our interest!

Posted by
875 posts

Yes it was expensive (what isn't in Paris??). No the food wasn't great. But we loved it all and thought it well worth our money for a one-time experience. We thoroughly enjoyed the show. I'd much rather see a fun show in Paris than a show in Las Vegas no matter how highly rated. Actually I'd much rather do a lot of things in Paris than in the US. That's part of travelling - to get to experience things you might never do at home. We also walked around the Place Pigalle area and took pictures of the neon signs. Never felt unsafe.
Took a taxi to and from the Moulin Rouge.

Posted by
143 posts

Barbara, A lot of people tell me that the Lapin Agile is a more authentic "French" experience these days (yes, I know not the same) BUT...I say, if you want to go...by all means GO. Whether it's five bucks more at lunch, or $100 for the show, if you really want to see it, in the grand scheme of your total trip cost, it's not a deal breaker... What you want to avoid is getting back home and seeing, "Gee, I wish we would have gone..." Yeah, the neighborhood is a bit seedy, but I wouldn't say it was unsafe. And you certainly won't be the only tourists in the area. The only area i would be cautious about is wearing money belt and not carrying a large purse full of money. But...you should go...and report back on your experience

Posted by
166 posts

Barbara, have you considered the show at Lido? We have been to both the Moulin Rouge and Lido. Prefer Lido. Since you are staying close to the Eiffel Tower, Lido has a more convenient location for you.

Posted by
217 posts

Thanks for suggesting Lido but its not the show so much as going to the "Moulin Rouge" :)

Posted by
4 posts

I am going with my family for my 30th bday want to see the show on 14th MARCH 2012...can u help me where and how i can find it or tickets

Posted by
1010 posts

The only people who go to the Moulon Rouge are tourists. It isn't worth having to go into that seedy part of town and spend a huge amount of money. We suggest you save your money.

Posted by
217 posts

seems th at most though don't agree with you.. I live in NY and have been through "seedy" neighborhoods...as long as its safe that is more important to me... the area almost sounds like what our old 42nd street used to be.. when it was xxx movie theatres and hookers --I think it will be fine and if I know what to expect then i won't be disappointed.

Posted by
10 posts

I lived in Paris for a while and saw the show a couple of times.We had a great time and the show is a piece of history

Posted by
3 posts

Hey Barbara,
I have not been to Moulin Rouge, but know people that have... and my friends say it is an acquired taste... I'm sure you've heard that before. But they say if you odn't think you will like it, you probably won't. Now a question for you. You mentioned you are staying near the Eiffel Tower. Could you recommend a hotel, please? Shannon

Posted by
217 posts

We think we will like it so I guess we will:) Yes it is a part of paris history.. I see it that way We are not staying at a hotel but at an apartment from vacation by owner, the web address below sorry you will need to cut and pasteit is a 10 min walk from the Eiffel Tower and looks lovely...got good reviews and the owners have been very responsive
Web Address: http://www.vrbo.com/334044