Please sign in to post.

Normandy France

I will be driving to Normandy and staying 2 nights in Bayeau. I'd like to see, Caen Mueseum, American Cemetery, Omaha Beach, but should I br taking the Battlebus tour from my hotel instead to insure that i see everything? What do you suggest that I see on the day of my arrival from Paris since it will only be a 1/2 day.

Posted by
811 posts

If u have a you don't need a tour. Road is easy to drive, u cant get lost.

Posted by
10195 posts

Battlebus, or the others recommended by Battlebus, will give you more than a ride; they explain in detail, bringing it all to life at each site. You could see the Bayeux Tapestry and the cathedral on the day of your arrival.

Posted by
9420 posts

I highly recommend the WWII museum in Bayeux, it's really good. Much better and less expensive than the one in Caen. We've been to Normandy many times and have driven all over seeing everything (love driving the 2 lane roads in Normandy and exploring) and one time we took a 1 day tour. Both are really good in different ways. For a first timer, and someone short on time, I'd recommend a tour. For a wonderful hotel in Bayeux, I highly recommend Hotel D'Argouges. It's like a manor house, nice gardens, parking, in the center of town, big rooms, big bathrooms, great breakfast and a wonderful owner and staff.

Posted by
32212 posts

Marianne, Bayeux is an excellent "central" location for touring the D-Day sights. You could take the train to Caen and visit the Museum for part of one day, and then return to Bayeux and have a look at the famous Bayeux Tapestry. Note that there's also an excellent WW-II Museum in Bayeux, which is another option. I would highly recommend taking one of the excellent day tours, as they cover the transportation and also provide an exceptional view of the history. However, BattleBus is no longer doing business under that name. Have a look at the websites for: > www.ddayhistorian.com (former owner of BattleBus) > www.daleboothnormandytours.com (formerly was a Guide with BattleBus) > www.overlordtour.com > http://www.ddaybattletours.com/elldi.php (one of the Guides used by RS tours) On your arrival day, you could have a look at the Bayeux Tapestry or WW-II Museum, or just explore the wonderful town. There are some good restaurants there! Happy travels!

Posted by
515 posts

Highly recommend a tour. We would NEVER have seen and heard all we did if we had simply driven a car around the area. That afternoon, I would go see the Tapestry, Museum, Cathedral and stroll the lovely city. Next day, take an all day tour. You will never forget it. But book soon; the tours fill quickly.

Posted by
655 posts

I agree - stay in Bayeau and take the tour. Allow plenty of time for the tapestry, purchase an audio guide if one is available. It is very imprressive. I also understand the Battlebus is no more.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi
Its an easy drive so you don't need to take a tour bus - though I'd recommend you buy a decent tourist guide to the sites. The Bayeux Tapestry is a must-see, they do provide English language audio kits and I can promise you its an awesome site when you see the whole thing laid out in front of you - nothing like what you see in books or on the net - you can easily spend an hour and half on this. The Gothic Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Bayeux, which was consecrated in 1077 is also a great site and don't forget to buy some Calvados, some of the local apple liquer. I would also try to get to the town ofSainte-Mère-Église if you can where there are some small museums (such as the Airborne Museum) and World War II-related giftshops with authentic US and other country's memorabilia and the piece de resistance is the dummy paratrooper which hangs from the church spire, commemorating the story of John Steele (on which the film The Longest Day was based). You don't say when you're going but D Day is commemorated big time in Normandy (6 June) so if you're there then - you are in for a big treat - its a great day with people dressing up and veteran visits and services. Have a great trip.

Posted by
143 posts

Hi Marianne, I too recommend Hotel D'Argouges in Bayeau. You definitely need to see the tapestry when you are there. And I can't recommend Dale Booth tours any more highly. He is also used by Rick Steves, and according to our Dutch bus driver, is the best. I realize 'best' is very subjective, and I'm sure there are lots of greats Normandy WWII guides, but I can't imagine a better one than Dale Booth. Ross in Denver
ross@bluemusemusic.com

Posted by
8943 posts

Ross, are you just a spammer? Please go back through your many, many posts and remove your email address for your business. Advertising doesn't belong on the Helpline.

Posted by
15 posts

Marianne, I've been there numerous times and love it every time, The last on 09/11/2001. I am a quasi military historian, and retired from the Army of the US, so I don't use a guide. I would highly recommend a guide. There's too much to absorb and see. The Bayeux Tapestry is breathtaking. Of all see the National Cemetary on Omaha Beach. While there find Teddy Roosevelt, Jr. and his brother's, who died in WWI and was moved here, grave's. They're side by side, and Teddy has the Congressional Medal of Honor. Walk to the wall on the beach and realize on the morning of June 6, 1944, American's were being killed right before your eyes. If the tour goes, see Point-de Hoc. This is where the US Army Rangers, under the command of LTC James E. Rudder, scaled the cliff's to secure heavy guns placed on the cliff's. The guns had been moved. The rangers later secured the guns. The casemount's are still there. The land is giving way and in a few years will be gone. You will come away awe struck, affected, and impressed.
Have fun!

Posted by
2187 posts

We're sad to hear that Battlebus Tours is no longer in operation as we have wonderful memories. But, out tour guide was Dale Booth and he is an amazing font of information. I know you could do this on your own, but with only two days, you really want to maximize your time and some of the spots that guides show you are not easily found. We also loved the Hotel d'Argouges.

Posted by
32212 posts

Marianne, "But, out tour guide was Dale Booth and he is an amazing font of information." If you're planning to book a tour with Dale Booth, ddayhistorian or others, I'd suggest booking early. They are at times VERY busy, so pre-booking is highly advisable. I definitely agree, Dale IS "an amazing font of information". You'll learn far more about the D-Day events with a Guide than by travelling on your own. Cheers!

Posted by
143 posts

@Jo, If you have concerns about my being a 'spammer', please notify the Webmaster and let him or her handle it. Thanks

Posted by
43 posts

Hi, I'll cast my vote with those who felt you could see whatever you need to see if you have a car. If I could do it anyone can. We had a good Michelin map and found the roads, even the smallest, so well marked that we never got lost (and i get lost crossing the street). We stayed in a hotel called Kyriad, also in the center of the city, and were quite happy with it (especially since they had off-street parking for a nominal fee). Hope all's well in New City; I grew up there (in the 50's-60's)!

Posted by
15 posts

Th point is how long do you have to see the landing beaches?
If you can read a map and understand guide books, then go for it. Most tourist can't. I would still have a guide.

Posted by
32764 posts

and realize on the morning of June 6, 1944, American's were being killed right before your eyes Terry, I agree with your points. What I realize when I am there, and I never fail to be moved, is that young boys on both sides were being killed there. All we have to do is look at the German war cemetery just down the road. I don't see how people who drive by the beaches area for half a day can really say they have "seen" the scenes of the battles. Just driving from Ste Mere Eglise to Pegasus Bridge takes quite a while, and it either takes a degree of study of the area or an experienced guide to make decent sense of it all. That's not even counting the Bocage.

Posted by
619 posts

We spent one and a half days on an Overlord tour (www.overlordtour.com) with Stephane Kraus, and it was a memorable experience. We were a mixed British/American group so we visited both sectors and various cemeteries. Although I can understand that we all see this from our own national perspective, I think it is important to realise how many different nationalities were involved, how their experiences may have differed, and also how their deaths may be commemorated. The American cemetery is impressive for its size, layout and facilities. However, I found the British cemeteries more moving because the memorials were more personal. Many carry a short dedication chosen by the deceased's family, and you realise that the man who died was also a husband, or a father, or an only son.

Posted by
15 posts

You're both right. You know the Pegasus Bridge is dramatic and most people never understand " hold until relieved". She's from NYC. I would definitely see the American Military Cemetery.

Posted by
32 posts

We stayed in Bayeux last May at the Hotel Reine Mathilde. Very centrally located, clean, one of our favorite hotels on our 3 week trip. We did not have a car at all: walked to the hotel from the train station. Then walked to the tapestry, the cathedral, and the DDay museum the day we got there. The next day we did a full day trip with Overlord Tours (Stephane was our guide as well) and it was AMAZING. We did the American sector and Band of Brothers tour. Stephane had historic photos and lots of stories that went along with the places we visited. It was so cool for him to hold up a photo and say see the window in the photo, that's the window right there in front of us. I posted about our trip on my blog (I only have like 10 posts, this is not a plug for a business) www.throughtheeyesoflinz.com if you want to read more about our experience. We absolutely loved our time in Bayeux and I cannot recommend a tour highly enough.

Posted by
2187 posts

If you decide to do this without a tour guide, see if you can slide in the German cemetary. It is a very eerie but memorable experience.