Please sign in to post.

What To Do?

I will be arriving in Rome after a transatlantic cruise. I've already done most of Rome on previous trips. I would like a suggestion to extend my vacation for another 3-5 days and end up in a city where I can board a flight back to the U.S. Any ideas?

Posted by
23548 posts

The is always Florence, Milan. You should be able to catch a direct flight back to the US from Milan. From Florence, it would be a connecting flight somewhere in Europe and then the US. A vague question.

Posted by
3580 posts

Have you visited Palermo? That could be a good 3 days, with side-trips. I loved walking around in Palermo.

Posted by
441 posts

I vote for Milan. With side trips to Venice, Verona and Varenna.

Posted by
2876 posts

Milan makes the most sense. It will give you the most choices for return flights to the US. From Milan, you could easily visit the Lake Como area, e.g. Bellagio. On the way from Rome to Milan you could easily visit Florence.

Posted by
15768 posts

I'm guessing you're on a repositioning cruise, so it will be early in the season. Anywhere in Italy should be lovely. I vote 2 days in Florence and 3 in Venice.

Posted by
9436 posts

I recommend Sorrento / Amalfi Coast (my favorite place in Italy) and fly back from Naples. It's an easy train ride from Rome.

Posted by
977 posts

Another vote for the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello, Positano. Such great memories.