Please sign in to post.

Rain in June!

I was looking at average rainfall in Paris, Luxembourg, Brussels and Interlaken and it seems like in all of these places it rains a lot. Should we be concerned about bringing rain gear for these places in June of 2012. I know summer is way out of the way, but does anyone know how the weather will be like this coming summer? Thanks!

Posted by
23548 posts

....does anyone know how the weather will be like this coming summer? ..... You are kidding? Right ? Make you a deal. You tell me what the weather will be like in Auburn during that time period and I will tell what it will be like in Paris. Seriously, it will rain, it will be sunny, and it can be very chilly. Prepare for everything by bring layers of clothing and good rain gear. It does tend to rain more in that time of year than in the fall. We have been in Paris in June when it was very chilly and needed jackets, it rain cats and dogs on two days, was overcast on a couple of more, and then it was sunny for a few days. It is anybody's guess.

Posted by
818 posts

You can't go wrong by packing some cheapo twin ponchos. I do where ever we go. We were in Prague a few Junes ago and while it was very rainy for a few days we had a great time because we were well prepared.

Posted by
12040 posts

OK, I'll bite... consulting my crystal ball, it will rain on some days and not on others. There's your prediction. It may even snow on the summits of the Alps, but this will come down as rain at lower elevations. When it inevitably rains on your trip, do as everyone else does- plan an indoor activity or use an umbrella.

Posted by
629 posts

Less rain than back home......and you can always buy a cheap umbrella!

Posted by
517 posts

A gross generalization: Europe means always being prepared for rain.
We have learned the hard way to always have a cheapie folding umbrella or a poncho in the backpack, in the trunk of the car, at the office, or crammed in the odd coat pocket. Kinda the same way that I now sprinkle reading glasses all over the place. Being prepared to layer-up and layer-down is also not a bad idea. Weather in June can be fickle. I've experienced beautiful summers in Europe. But also summers that never quite fully arrived.

Posted by
360 posts

could be wetter than usual, could by drier than usual, could be colder than usual, could be warmer than usual
get a small travel umbrellla and a light rain coat

Posted by
23548 posts

He already did look at averages. That is why the OP is asking about specific days of rain.

Posted by
1525 posts

It will be mostly sunny on June 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 11, 16, 17, 18, 22, 24, 28, 29. It will be mostly cloudy on June 3, 9, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 26. It will rain for at least part of the day on June 6, 7, 10, 15, 21, 23, 25, 27. On June 30, there will be a heavy rainfall that lasts until about 5PM. By 6PM the skies will clear and it will be a glorious evening.

Posted by
12313 posts

You will rarely be sorry keeping a packable (unlined) waterproof rain-shell within arms reach. Amsterdam, as an example, rains every other day year round (a little less in summer and a little more in winter). London is likely to be clear and hot one hour, but pouring rain, windy and freezing the next - any time of year. They aren't kidding when they say, "Four seasons in one day." June is still Spring and you are liable to see some rain, especially north of the Alps and near the Atlantic. It's really no big deal as long as you have a rain-shell handy and wear clothes that are either resistant or quick-drying. People on this site suggest layering. A short sleeve shirt may be fine, but keep a sweater and rainshell handy to layer when needed.

Posted by
235 posts

Bring a light-weight water-proof jacket with a hood for northern Europe in June. Otherwise you may end up buying one when you are there.

Posted by
1986 posts

Our latest trip to Europe was May/June. It rained for periods of half an hour to an hour at periods during most days. No matter what the weather looked like in the morning, we knew it would rain. Take a fold up umbrella with you at all times

Posted by
2775 posts

Does anyone know what the weather will be like in 6 months? Heck I would settle for knowing what the weather will be next weekend when I run my next race. Seriously, this is "borrowing" troble. As the trip gets closer THEN you start checking the weather... mcuh much closer......

Posted by
884 posts

Just bring an umbrella and you will be fine. Not sure what you mean by rain gear. For me, that's an umbrella, and since that is light and does not take up much room, just bring with you. Check the weather outlook a couple of days prior to your trip to see if you would need a jacket for the cold. Seriously, I would not worry about weather issues until about a week shy of your trip since that is the only time you would have somewhat reliable info. And that still may not hold true. Weather.com stated that it would rain every day for our week stay in Paris. However, once we got there, it rained one night and was lovely and partly sunny the remainder of the time.

Posted by
7 posts

Brendon My daughter and I were in Paris and Brussels the first two weeks of July, 2011. Paris was PERFECT. Sunny and between 70°-80° the week we were there. Skirts and capri pants were worn. Light jacket 2 or 3 mornings. One rainy morning and it lasted about 2 hours. We were told by our RS guide it rained hard the week before and it rained the week after we left. Brussels/Bruges was a different story. Average temps were 55° to 65°. We had 2 days of sun and the other 5 days were rainy. One day of hard rain but the rest were just a really heavy cold mist. We were staying with a friend outside of Brussels and were warned how to pack. We had jeans, waterproof shoes a lightweight fleece lined rain jacket with a hood (for warmth and dryness) and an umbrella. Mostly we wore our jackets and jeans. Only used the umbrella the one day with heavy rain. Could have left it at home and just bought one there. Hope this helps.
TA

Posted by
33469 posts

Remember that what happened before is no indication of what will happen this year. Global warming is taking its toll. The last few years have certainly not been representative of past trends. What has been observed is much more extreme weather throughout Europe. Extreme heat, cold, dry, rain. Floods and droughts.