Please sign in to post.

Jungfrau or Rhine?

I have a few days to sightsee between Venice and Paris. I am trying to find a good place to spend 2-3 days, I have never been to Europe..so excited! I am using public transportation, no car. Finding an affordable train or flight to frankfurt has been a problem, is Switzerland an easier trek out of Venice? I understand the differences in sites, looking for trip with least transportation bumps ...where would you go? Oh, and this will be first week in March, is one more desirable during this time?

Posted by
32776 posts

danielle where are you looking for the train prices? You should not have trouble 90 days out. I see, for example, on the 1st March €53 for a night train to Munich, change trains for Frankfurt at 6:30 or so. There are other day trains available, too.

Posted by
13 posts

I was on sky scanner, Ryan air...what web sites should I try? Thank you for helpful info.. do you have a preference on either area?

Posted by
306 posts

Wow. Someone else from SC. But I digress... Switzerland in March would be wonderful. I did it in May and the lower elevations were clear and I could day hike but the peaks were all still snow covered and on more than one occasion I shared cog railways or cable cars with skiers. www,bahn.de is without a doubt the super-most-best-greatest-easiest-to-use-in-English train travel website known to traveleres! Look at trains from Venice up through Lucarno or Lugano to Chur (koor) in Switzerland. I don't know how many transfers you'd need, but transfers in Europe are duck soup most of the time. Often, from one platform to the next one right next to the one you got off on! That route to/from Chur is called the Bernina Express and it's beautiful even if you never get out of the train. Once in Chur, switch for Lucerne and maybe Interlaken. From Lucerne, it shouldn't take more than one train change at probably Basel to get you to Paris. Only thing to keep in mind is that it will probably still be ski season, so I have no idea at all what that'd do to seat availability and room availability. But if you could do it, you'd love it! As for the Rhine, if you do it by boat rather than by train, to see more on both sides of the river at once than you can by train, recall it'll be March... Hope this helps. Tom

Posted by
9110 posts

Regarding where to go: The Rhine Gorge is great, but when you compare it to the Eiger (the heck with the Jungfrau), it's just one more gully.

Posted by
12040 posts

March in the Jungfrau region will still be ski season. Don't expect any hiking.