Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Scotland

My Wife and I are traveling to Scotland in October was wondering if there are any recommendations on where to rent from.

Posted by
1226 posts

Hi Angel. Haven't rented in Scotland, but I've had good luck with both Hertz and Avis throughout Europe, suggest you try them. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
5678 posts

Every time I've rented in Scotland I've used AutoEurope. That said they've put me with Hertz sometimes and National other times. I would start with them. Just remember that you do not need a rental car in Edinburgh. You don't need one in Glasgow either for that matter. But for the rest of the country it's great to have a car. I really enjoy the wee roads. There is a wonderful book, Raw Spirit, by Iain Banks. This is about a search for the perfect dram, but it's also about wonderful drives through the Scottish countryside. Pam

Posted by
3551 posts

I was in Scotland in June and rented thru Orbitz as that was the best deal for me. Unlimited miles and p/u in Edinburgh airport drop off Manchester airport. It was contracted thru Hertz, no prob. I purchased $99.00 Insurance thru Orbitz. 10 rental. In looking for my rental I compared autoeurope and other major rental agencies that I have used in the past in Europe. Saved at least 25% by using Orbitz.
hope this helps alittle.

Posted by
1570 posts

Twice I've used British Car Rental and received terrific service and rates. www. britishcarrental.com

Posted by
1820 posts

We have used Hertz for several rentals in Scotland and have been completely satisfied with them. If picking up in Edinburgh, get it at the airport on the way out of town. If dropping in Glasgow, be sure it is after 7 A.M. We had an early flight once and had to wait for them to come unlock the return lot.