Please sign in to post.

tips in Spain

I am anticipating needing to tip help in the hotels in Spain but don't know what is customary there. I expect to be helped, at times, by doormen, bellmen, concierge and, of course, room maids. I would appreciate any guidance you can provide. Thank you.

Posted by
1178 posts

Most places do not look for a tip. I do leave some change at the restaurants though.

Posted by
410 posts

Tipping is most definately not expected in the majority of cases in Spain. We tip even less often here than we used to in Australia - which was very little. These people are being paid to do their jobs. By all means tip if you want, but it is not customary.

Posted by
133 posts

The only time that we tipped was when staying at a 5 star hotel in Barcelona. The bellman was so quick and helpful that he really deserved something...and he accepted it so gracefully that I suspected that he was used to receiving tips. We also tipped the maid in that hotel, at the beginning of the stay. The queen size bed had one sausage pillow the width of the bed for both of us, which was not going to work! So we asked her for an additional pillow and gave her a tip to cover our multi-night stay. The rest of the places we stayed at were not so fancy and tipping didn't come up as there were no bellmen, concierge, etc.