Please sign in to post.

London Apartments

I'm sure this is not a new problem for travelers. Does anyone have recommendations on where to find apartments to rent for a month at a reasonable rate in London? I've searched the internet, craigslist, you name it. When I find something that looks reasonable, it winds up either being too far out in the suburbs, or I feel like the ad is not legit when I contact them, or once the real price is calculated it feels like a bate and switch. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted by
286 posts

Try not to rule out places 'too far out in the suburbs' if the price is right especially if there is a mainline train station. I live in SE London with no access to the tube, but on a fast train to Victoria in less than 20 mins. It definitely beats the tube.

Posted by
643 posts

Well it may be OK to live out in the suburbs, but when we tourists are visiting London for a short time, say one or two weeks, it definitely pays to be located in Central London near a good tube station. Time is money when on vacation, and who wants to spend time on a long journey into the city if instead you can simply walk to museums or sights, or a short tube ride? We booked our apartment in 2008 through the "In The English Manner" website, and had an excellent experience. So much so that we've rebooked with them for our apartment in London this fall. Both times staying in South Kensington, which we love. They have a Los Angeles based office and a 1-800 telephone number to reach their US representative, Gloria. You'll pay more for an apartment than for a small hotel room, but who wants to have to eat out for every meal? We like the ability to rise at our leisure, and make our own simple small breakfast before we dress to go out on the town for the day. We also usually eat dinner at our apartment, therefore only eating out once a day, a considerable savings. Not to mention having more space to live in, and usually away from throngs of tourists and the other noise from a hotel. Our apartment in 2008 was dead quiet at night and we slept like logs.

Posted by
8688 posts

Not sure what reasonable means to you budget wise. London remains one of the most costly cities on the planet. That said there are many reputable apartment rental websites. In the English Manor is certainly one of them. Who have you contacted and why do you feel like it's a bait and switch. I used the airbnb website for a recent London trip. LOVED what I found. No hidden costs. Direct contact with owner. You might give the website a look. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
565 posts

I have used vrbo, homeaway.co.uk, and tripadvisor to book apartments in London several times. Many of those apartments rent monthly as well as weekly. I'd be a little guarded when looking on craigslist. I'm sure there is a lot of legitamite postings, but any bad experiences I've heard of begin with "I saw it on craigslist'. People are right when they question 'reasonable rate'. If you do find something cheap in the city center, I would be very cautious. Make sure you ask if there is any renovation work going on too. Sometimes that's why the rates are slashed.