Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Edinburgh

Hi,
I was wondering about day trips from Edinburgh, perhaps to Loc Ness . If we should make reservations ahead or just go to say the area near Waverly station and pick a tour on the spot. Also does anyone have a tour group to recommend. Seems so many to pick from. Thanks!

Posted by
5678 posts

There are lots of day trips from Edinburgh. I would book ahead, but you can do it from the TI at Waverly Station or online. You can do some day trips on your own without a tour. You can go to Stirling and visit the Castle and other historic sites. It's less than an hour train ride the walk up to the Castle is reasonable, or you can do bus or taxi. The Renaissance palace at the Castle was just renovated and reopened this summer. Others do day trips to St. Andrews. You take the train to Leauchars where you catch a bus. I believe that you can book a combo ticket at Waverly. For those that like to walk, I recommend taking the train to Dunkeld and Birnam for the day. There are lots of lovely trails into the surrounding hills that vary in rigor. Dunkeld itself is lovely little town. Of course, Glasgow is an easy day trip by train. Hourly trains. I've not tried to do the Border Abbeys by public transit, but I've been told it's doable. This might be a good tour candidate as you'll see more. You can do a day trip to the highlands, but it's a lot of bus time. I believe that ScotRail has a special summer train to Oban on the west coast which opens it up as a possible day trip. You can also just take the train across the Forth and visit Dunfirmline. If you do, consider taking the bus on to see Culross. It's quite good. Pam

Posted by
345 posts

Book ahead. I went to Loch Ness, and south to Bamburgh and Alnwick castles. I did enjoy the tours, but would have enjoyed more time in Edinburgh too.

Posted by
166 posts

Hi Sharon, We did not book ahead but we also travel in what is considered the off season months. There are several tour companies in Edinburgh offering very similar tours/prices. We used Timberbush and were very happy with the tours and the guides.