Please sign in to post.

camera

i know rick steves says to take very little. i have a digital slr camera. i'm torn on whether to take it to a trip to england/ireland. i do have a small pocket size digital. but is it worth it to bring the larger one? we are staying with friends 1/2 of the time so not in a hotel. thanks so much.

Posted by
2535 posts

Opinions on this topic vary...see the many prior posts. I've carried a small pocket camera and more recently a large/heavy camera. To keep my bag light, I eliminate non-essential items and consider better quality pictures viewed many times after each trip well worth the trade-off. Others much prefer the convenience, light weight and good quality photos fully satisfactory so a pocket camera is great.

Posted by
9095 posts

Only you can decide if you truly want to use the larger camera to capture mages of your trip. I use a DSLR camera professionally but prefer to travel only with a Canon Power shot digital Elph. Don't have to fret about the larger DSLR being stolen, or have it use up space in the carry on. With stellar zooms, pixels and built in light meters today's smaller cameras take brilliant pictures. Recently, broke this rule of thumb in Istanbul. Brought the DSLR, used it once and said "Never again!" The decision is yours to make but please remember there a number of places you can't use a camera (Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's). Have a great trip.

Posted by
11507 posts

A few years ago took a friend to Paris, she packing her large, heavy, but very good camera. Me with cheapo point and shoot.
She is not a professional,, so frankly, her shots were no more special looking then mine,, and I didn't have the stress or backache from lugging a big camera around the big camera bag, ,or worrying about theft. If you are a really good photographer, and taking photos is a big part of your vacation,, then I guess it makes sense to take the big camera,, for most of us, who just want a few shots of us in front of various sites,, I think its better to take a cheapo. BTW Two years ago I didn't even take a camera at all, only missed it when I met some relatives and couldn't take their photo,, for the rest of the time I found it very freeing having one less thing to worry about.

Posted by
32322 posts

marie, As Bruce mentioned, there are differing opinions on this subject, usually divided between those that definitely want to travel with a DSLR and those who prefer only a smaller P&S model. In my own case, I always travel with both a DSLR (and associated kit) as well as a small Canon SD-series P&S Camera. Photography is a big part of my travels, and there's NO WAY I'll leave the DSLR at home as I'd feel "lost" without it. It's certainly not as easy to pack around each day, but I'm somewhat "larger" so can handle the weight without too much trouble. I find that I can manage most situations with two Lenses, a wide angle and a medium range Zoom. While P&S Cameras these days are capable of taking great photos, there have been many occasions when I've been out for short tours around cities with only my P&S Camera and was frustrated by the lack of "creative control". I simply wasn't able to get the same type or quality of photos that would have been possible with the DSLR. If you're hoping to capture some great photos in the places you'll be visiting, the DSLR will be an asset. Given the fact that you'll be staying with friends at least half the time, that should make the process a bit easier. One final comment. Although Rick always suggests that one should "take very little", if you seen any of his recent shows you'll notice that he always has a DSLR over his shoulder. Happy travels!

Posted by
5678 posts

I love my DSLR and would not dream of going to Europe without it. If I don't have it I miss it. There are times when the point doesn't work for me. I am not a professional photographer, but I do take better pictures with my DSLR. That said, I take the Point and Shoot with me so that I can have a camera when I am out in the evening socializing. I even take a tripod with me at times if I think I'll be shooting landscapes or water. Pam

Posted by
850 posts

It is a matter of personal preference. For the past two trips I have taken a DSLR and would not travel without it. My wife has a small p&s which she uses but for me the DSLR is constantly with me. I do shoot in raw now and the detail is there to pull out when post processing plus as Ken mentioned the advantage of having the creative control is a big factor in my decision to lug around the larger camera. I understand those who prefer the smaller camera for ease of travel as my wife does. For me the extra trouble of the DSLR is something I am willing to put up with. Many of the places we travel to are a once in a lifetime trip and I would hate to miss that special photo op by not having the flexibility the DSLR offers over the p&s. Other than the larger camera we pack light with no other electronic gear other than a cell phone and a gps when driving.

Posted by
1446 posts

Claudia mentions that you cannot take pictures in Wesminster - does anyone know if they will let you carry the camera inside? Thanks.