Please sign in to post.

secure luggage tags

Recommendations for luggage tags that hide your home address and are strong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
23290 posts

Cannot say I have given a lot of thought to that subject. Luggage tags are luggage tags. Go to a travel center at Target, Walmart, or a luggage store and see what they have. We have used a Samsonite tag that pulls away to show the address and comes in bright colors which helps to id the checked luggage. Have worked well for years.

Posted by
2367 posts

Try Rick's travel store, it is right on this website, just look above at the banner, find travel store and click on accessories, just checked and they sell 2 with the flap that covers name, address for $9.95 for both. Saves you going all over looking for this item.

Posted by
4407 posts

What you need to do is take a sheet of paper for each of your bags - checked or not (it might need to be checked at the last minute, or it's simply been misplaced) - and write your: name, home address, phone number - both home and someplace you (or someone else) can reached while you're on vacation, your trip itinerary (addresses, hotel phone numbers/websites), your email addresses where you can be reached while on vacation, and your flight info - dates of travel, airline, flight numbers. The vast majority of luggage that never finds its way home becomes orphaned because the luggage tags disappeared. You must have all of your pertinent info INSIDE your bags. Get your hands on some luggage tags - it'll be easy to see which ones are sturdy, which ones won't stay buckled shut, etc. I have some just like these: http://www.letravelstore.com/product/2NT.html There's no flap to stay permanently in the 'open' position, and the inner part has always stayed inside the outer sleeve. I even wrote my name where it can't be read through the window...and the bright colors are helpful at the carousel, plus they're cheerful!

Posted by
1976 posts

I have a couple of clear blue vinyl luggage tags that I got free from a travel agency. One side has the name and address of the travel agency and the other side is blank, intended for the traveler's name and address to be seen. I filled out the little form inside each tag but I slid the form into the tag so that my contact info is mostly covered by the travel agency info. Someone would have to take the tag off my luggage in order to slide out the form and read it. As Eileen said, whenever you check a bag, put your contact info inside it along with your itinerary, including cities and dates where/when you'll be and the names and phone numbers and addresses of your hotels. Airport security searches all unclaimed luggage so they'll find your contact info.

Posted by
8293 posts

I suppose the idea of having luggage tags that do not show one's home address is to prevent some evil airport worker from learning your home address and concluding that your home is now empty and vulnerable and his equally evil cohorts will immediately descend upon it and loot it. For that fear to be credible the evil doer would have to believe that everyone who travels leaves behind an unoccupied house ... no wife, father, mother, room mate, adult son or daughter or significant other is still in the house. Of all the things to worry about when I travel this is way down there with "Will these eggs be okay to eat when I get back?"

Posted by
23290 posts

To me it falls at the same risk level of having a backpack cut open or off. I am often surprised at what people worry about.

Posted by
4407 posts

When it comes to 'hidden' info on luggage tags, it's the same to me as shredding everything that leaves my house that's bound for the garbage can. I don't expect anyone to target me and my house specifically; I want to avoid the crimes of opportunity. I'm amazed at how easily and quickly I can memorize the info on luggage tags going 'round on the belt...ONCE......a little scary. Same for putting those cute cutouts and your kids names (and the dog and cat AND yours) on the back window of your SUV...while it's parked in front of your house. Not bright. 'Nuff said. I've read more news stories and followed more trials over the years about people being followed home and God-knows-what happened at that point, all because the person behind the victim in the grocery store line saw the address on a check or got to the home before the air/bus traveler did, lying-in-wait. (or, upon your departure, knowing they have some time to clean out your house) Like wearing a moneybelt, I'm trying to avoid giving anyone the opportunity to do anything. Not a paranoid thing, any more than trying to pick good passwords to keep the bad guys out...The world's scary and you have to do things to protect yourself. Hopefully, everything goes alright. No point stressing over it. Just do what you can. If that means a luggage tag that doesn't immediately broadcast my name and address, then great - that's the one I'm going to use.

Posted by
571 posts

Although the likelihood of someone stealing your address off a luggage tag is slight, I do understand why some people take extra precautions. I guess every little bit helps. One option is to have a business card or work address and phone in the luggage tag. I know people who leave their itinerary and travel contact info with their work colleagues anyway, so they might as well "put them to use" in the event they get separated from their bags.

Posted by
355 posts

Of all the things to worry about when I travel this is way down there with "Will these eggs be okay to eat when I get back?" @ Norma Eggs can last about 5 weeks. So it would really depend on how old there were when you left and how long you were gone. @Vanessa - every department store has them.

Posted by
4407 posts

My mostest majorest concern (way above luggage tags) is remembering to swing by the store - on the way home from the airport - to pick up milk...for my morning coffee ;-) 'cause I'm not going to be leaving the house for ANYTHING that day. It doesn't usually last 5 weeks :-(

Posted by
15591 posts

There's no reason to put your address on the luggage tags, just a phone number. And it does happen that thieves look for addresses on luggage tags. It isn't necessarily an airport baggage handler. There are other people who handle your bags, taxi drivers, security staff, and people who just cruise the airport. I have friends who put their newspaper subscription on hold twice while abroad - both times there flat was burgled. Since they stopped doing it (their neighbor collects it daily) - nada. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone's not out to get you :-)

Posted by
355 posts

There's no reason to put your address on the luggage tags, just a phone number. Or put the address of the hotel you are staying at. After all that is where you want the bags to go anyway. Then for the trip home include you actual address.