Please sign in to post.

travel shoes

I am traveling to both Paris and Switzerland, like to go to nice restaurants, want to walk through Paris and plan to do some moderate to strenuous hiking in Switzerland and I am having trouble with which shoes to take? Any ideas? I am female almost 50

Posted by
646 posts

If you check out the Graffit Wall, you will find many postings on walking shoes. Good luck.

Posted by
355 posts

As a male I find that a pair of solid black cross trainers that almost look like shoes but are really sneakers do the trick as I feel comfortable wearing them as "dress shoes" with almost anything but an actual business suit or formal dress pants. I will wear them with dockers and a sports jacket and that is as nice as I get on vacation. I suspect that a female would be unable to find a single pair of shoes that can handle both hiking in the alps and a nice Paris restaurant. If I was a female I think I would do the following.... 1. A good pair of cross trainers that look nice should handle both the hiking and walking thru Paris. 2. A pair of nice looking light weight black flats that go with everything. I would go for a comfortable pair that can do double duty as slippers. If I was going to do a lot of walking plus then go to a nice restaurant the light weight flats would go in my day bag up until I was around the block from where I needed to look nice and then change. 3. Might consider instead of bring grungy flip flops as shower shoes, going with a pair that is "cute" and can be worn both in the shower and with a casual dress or skirt. (But maybe not at 50 that is a look that tends to work better for teens and 20 something than most 50 year olds. But if you think it works for you go for it. I have seen people your age wear them, just not as often.)

Posted by
17232 posts

I assume since you will be hiking in Switzerland, this is a summer trip? We have done at least six trips that include both hiking in the Alps or Dolomites, plus city time. Each time, I have taken my regular hiking boots, plus two pair of sandals that are good for walking all day ( which I have done). The dressier sandals, in the Dansko "Capri" series, happily go to dinner with my little black dress. I wear the boots on the plane, and even with clothes for everything from hiking to opera, and the two pair of sandals, it all fits in my carryon. You might get by with 2 pair of shoes instead of the 3 I take, but definitely no single pair will do it all.