Please sign in to post.

travel partner

i find it hard to find a person who has some kind of similar value regarding travel as mine :( anyways, is it ever possible to find a travel buddy?

Posted by
1893 posts

I've traveled very well with my husband. I travel very well with my kids (I've taken each of them on a 5 day trip to their city of choice in Europe) I've traveled very well with a girlfriend. Yes, it's possible. I'm heading out to hike in France with a different friend this October. Travel is give and take....and keeping that in mind, it's not hard. We have to learn to take turns, one day it's one person's choice, then next day we change. That being said, we traveled with some friends a few years ago, and when we got home from the trip, my "friend" didn't speak to me for 6 months. I had no idea why, I thought things were good, but she took offense to something, but wouldn't speak to me about it, just got mad. Whatever, now I know NOT to ask her to travel with me...her loss!

Posted by
5678 posts

I think what's hard today is to find someone who is willing to commit to the trip as well as have similar interests and expectations. Married people often, but not always, have a leg up on this. I hope that they at least start with some common interests! ; ) One thing that I ended up doing was combining solo travel with some time spent in a tour. Once I did a week's photo workshop. I also have taken walking tours. With the former, it was a one time event, but with the latter, I've found some friends and I love meeting up with them annually if at all possible. Pam

Posted by
11507 posts

Try going alone,, I really enjoy it. I have travelled with my kids, with my friends, and finally a few years ago I started going to Paris alone and I loved it so much I have done it again and again,, by choice! Obviously it was simple since I had been to Paris before,, but I would do for other places too,, but not all places. where do you want to travel,, Europe is good on your own.

Posted by
3838 posts

I agree with Pamela, that you may want to combine solo travel with some time spent on a tour. For example, if you went on the Rick Steves "London in 7 days" trip, you could stay several more days in London to see additional sights, or to go back to a museum that you liked. Same with the "Rick Steves England in 14 Days" trip. You might even find someone on the group trip who was traveling solo, who would want to join you for a few days of travel after the tour, as a travel buddy. Also, you may want to look into joining groups in your area who participate in outdoor activities, such as a hiking club, Sierra Club, canoe or kayaking club, snow skiing club. You will find people in those groups who are active, adventurous, and independent. They will very likely all be open to the possibility of being your travel buddy once they get to know you. It's a good way to meet people who are open to new experiences and have the mind set of "Sure! Let's pack our backpacks and head to Europe for two weeks!" I also agree with Pat that you could have a great trip going alone. You could do what you want, when you want, without having to compromise your schedule to fit someone else's desires.