Please sign in to post.

electronics

Any suggestions on what electronic ( laptop vs i phone) are best to travel with, it seems like carrying a laptop would be heavy and then there is the worry of it being stolen.

Posted by
1825 posts

After extensively planning my trip online I realized I was dependent on the Internet when contingencies arose. My iphone on wifi worked for checking Facebook but not so well with Air France. Fortunately we had a Color Nook which allowed me to go online and book an nate flight. The ipad would be great to travel with but if you primarily want a reader with the ability to check email and surf the C-Nook is a bargain at $249. Using my iphone on wifi to Skype and the tablet (Color Nook) for surfing and email was a convenient combo. The CNook is a great reader but I still had my torn out sections of RS for walking around.

Posted by
32213 posts

Beth, An iPhone can be a useful travel accessory, however it's extremely important to ensure that you don't use the cellular data network as roaming charges can be astronomical (one traveller recently returned home to find a bill of $37,000 waiting in her mailbox)! Unless you have a roaming plan or using iPhone Trip, it's best to leave the data portion of the iPhone switched off and use only Wi-Fi. One issue with both iPhones and iPod Touch is that working with the small screen and keyboard becomes very tedious, very quickly. That's one of the reasons I always travel with a Netbook now. An iPad could also be considered, however that would depend on what you plan to use it for. I have trouble typing on a "virtual keyboard" so it wouldn't be as useful for me. IMO, it also has a high "worry factor" in terms of theft, loss or damage given the high cost. There's slightly less "worry" with a $400 Netbook compared to an $850 iPad. It's also not as useful for photo storage, given the somewhat "limited" memory capacity (I have almost that much in Memory Cards for my Camera). To "round out" the range of choices, you might also have a look at Netbooks. They're light, easy to travel with and extremely reasonable cost. Happy travels!

Posted by
3580 posts

I carry the small Acer Aspire notebook-size computer. It weighs about 3# with charger. When I leave my room, I put anything that I consider valuable into my luggage and lock it. Out of sight is less tempting. I usually use the Acer in my room if there is Wifi. Or I carry it to the nearest hot-spot to use it. It fits easily into my daypack.

Posted by
687 posts

My last few trips I've taken a netbook (most recently an ASUS HA1008) which is much lighter than full laptop. However, it just got damaged (at home!) and after checking weights again I think I'm going to buy an iPad for my next trip. The iPad2 only weights 1.3 lbs, even if I add the keyboard it will still weigh less than the currently lightest netbook. I've considered also taking an iPod touch as an upgrade from my aged iPod nano, but I can't take it instead of the iPad as I have a blog to maintain, and it seems rather pricey. I may look into the competition.

Posted by
2788 posts

Fortunately, when I go on vacation to Europe in the summer, I do not have to take any electronics for any reason. Is it ever a relief from the days of carrying a beeper, cell phone, and lap-top for work.

Posted by
5678 posts

Most recently I have traveled with my Mac. The primary reason has been to get a head start managing my pictures. I might not take it with me if I get an iPad that can help with the photos. I will still take my iPhone. I find that a mobile phone is really helpful in Europe. Everyone from B&B owners to car rental agencies to friends expect to reach you via a cell phone. It really makes life easier. I don't use for lengthy chats. It's really helpful for logistics. Obviously, I also take a digital camera with me. In truth I take two - a DSLR and a point and shoot. I can't imagine traveling without them. Pam