Please sign in to post.

Travel from Prague to Krakow

How do I get from Prague to Krakow.I want to go to Austrich and the salt mines and then stop somewhere else after 2 days in Krawkow on my way back to Prague.

Posted by
4637 posts

Go by train. The schedule is on Deutsche Bahn website. I assume you mean to go to concentration camp in Auschwitz. Polish name is Oswiecim. On the way back to Prague Olomouc would be a good stop.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for responding. What is there to do in Olomouc? My daughter is studing abroad in Prague and we will look into the train leaving July 20th night train and arrive in Krakow and plan on the Austrich and saltmines the same day and then stay in a Hostile or Hotel and spend the next day touring Krakow. I am all polish Jozefiak/Schemanski/Kucharski and would love to be where my grandparents were from. Everyone is deceased and I have no one to ask. It is easy to travel in Krakow? would you suggest another day..or 2 days in Olomouc?

Posted by
687 posts

Visiting Auschwitz (note spelling) is an emotionally devastating experience. I would not plan on seeing anything else that day. Yes, there is a lot to see in Krakow, which is also a good city for just strolling. It's in Rick's Eastern Europe guidebook, or see http://inyourpocket.com/poland/krakow

Posted by
4637 posts

I think one to two days will be OK for Olomouc. You can find suggestions what to do there in Rick Steves book Prague and the Czech Republic.

Posted by
818 posts

We loved Krakow! Great city. We stopped at Auschwitz on our way and while it was moving I wouldn't't say it killed the day. Do give yourself plenty of time to wander Krakow.

Posted by
9 posts

My daughter has to be back at school and we wanted to head back toward Prague..I wanted to see something different on our way to Prague..You suggest I stay in Krakow another day? .I will have a whole week in Prague once we get back. The other mom and daughter are going to Budapest, but my daughter already went there and doesn't want to go back. So thanks..

Posted by
4637 posts

If you want to see something different on your way back to Prague you can still stop in Olomouc. It's not that bad as James suggests. Maybe 10 minutes spent there was not enough to appreciate the town. Rick Steves and I and I suspect many others have a different opinion. Or to see some gorgeous nature you can go from Krakow to nearby Zakopane and visit Morskie Oko. It is a beautiful mountain lake in alpine High Tatras. If you are good hikers you can conquer the highest mountain of Poland Rysy. It is right above Morskie Oko. From there you can cross by bus into Slovakia and from Poprad catch a direct train to Prague. Very scenic bus and train ride.

Posted by
9 posts

Is it best to get train tickets before your trip? or would it be OK to get them when we get to Prague. I would get a one way for now. Still now sure how long or where do go after Krawkow or how many days.

Posted by
2026 posts

We did not want to take an overnight train from Krakow to Prague, so broke the journey in Olomouc. We spent a pleasant afternoon/evening walking around Olomouc and a little time the next morning before training to Prague. This was ample time for us. It is lovely, and practically untouched by tourists as far as we could see. We spent 5 days in Prague and 4 in Krakow. In Krakow, I'd recommend the Hotel Wielopole for reasonable cost, fatastic location, friendly and helpful service and abundant breakfast. They can set up (one phone call, 10 seconds)door to door tours for both Auschwitz and the saltmines at a rate about the same as you could buy from a vendor. The trip to Auschwitz took about 6 hours and precluded us from combining it in a one day trip with the mines, tho I believe many people do.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank You for all your responses. I have decided to stay in Krakow for the 3 days and only got a 1 way train ticket from Prague. I will share my travel experieces.