Please sign in to post.

Using credit cards at ATMs

Hi All, perhaps I missing something but to avoid high cash advance interest rates when using a credit card at an ATM in Europe, why not "prepay" the card company (ie have a positive balance) so you don't go in the red to begin with? I understand you are then foregoing interest you would earn if that money were in a bank account but at about 0.3% it's not much. I would assume in such a case the high interest on such an ATM cash withdrawal would not come into effect, right?

Posted by
306 posts

I think you would need to ask the CC company about whether or not the high interest in a cash advance would apply or not. I'm not sure if anyone on this board is qualified to answer such a question since the terms of CC's vary so much. My guess is that the high interest would still apply. I only guess this because CC company's suck, but I like your logic. Also if you have the cash to put on your credit card why not use a debit card and avoid the cash advance issue in the first place?

Posted by
23296 posts

There has been a couple of posting claiming that they did that and it worked. However, a few years ago, maybe 5, I had the same idea and called my credit card company - think it was Chase at the time - and received a very complicated answer that didn't make much sense. It would be treated as a cash advance with the cash advance fees and interest rate until the due date of my account than the credit balance would be applied. When I tried to question the logic of the process, I got no where. And the other side is way do all of this brain damage to get a credit card to act like a debit card. Just get a debit card.

Posted by
2788 posts

Is there anything preventing you using a DEBIT card tied to a CHECKING ACCOUNT for cash withdrawals from ATMs? It is by far the most commonly used way by most of the folks who frequent this web site and go to Europe frequently.

Posted by
355 posts

Contact your credit card company first. Potential problems with your plan: 1. On a couple of occasions I have overpayed my credit card, twice it was by accident the other times because I paid my balance off and then returned a major purchase. On one of those 5 times, the credit card company sent me a refund check without me asking instead of having me carry the positive balance. Potential problem: You over pay, they issue you a refund check that arrives in your mailbox the day after you leave for Europe and then you get whacked with the fees cause your balance is now zero. 2. All of my credit cards have a $5+ fee for each ATM withdraw in addition to than any interest fees. Both of my debit cards have a substantially lower fee than that.

Posted by
1976 posts

Just use an ATM card. Put the money you'd "prepay" the CC company with, into a checking account and avoid any potential high interest rates.

Posted by
9110 posts

Based only on the observation of a friend, what Frank says is the way it is: the system treats the withdrawel as a cash advance until the end of the period when account balance kicks in. After that, it's first-in / first-out, so the interest would stop (assuming you didn't have a balance left over from the previous period). I overpay a bit each month, but only enough to make the checkbook math simple. I've never gotten a refund since there was probably something already charged that wasn't on the statement (or was charged prior to receipt of my check). An atm card makes it simple.

Posted by
9363 posts

In case you are thinking of doing it this way for security reasons, your debit card is protected against fraud, too. If it were lost or stolen you would not be liable for fraudulent charges and you would get your money back.

Posted by
253 posts

First off, I now do what Charlie suggested and have for several years. Prior to that, I did exactly what Chris is talking about, and did that for maybe fifteen or twenty years on every trip to Europe. Several points were needed to pull this off. First was to make sure the credit card you were using in Europe had no cash withdrawal fees at ATM's. Second was that you require a pin number before going. Third was to pre-pay the credit card the week before going so you won't get the refund check for a while. If these rules were followed, there really were no disadvantages to doing this. But the banks caught on and now we just do the debit card withdrawals, as suggested above.

Posted by
7570 posts

As others have stated, there is no advantage in doing this in place of regular ATM use. There may be a similar use though in the instance that you need a large sum of cash (for an apartment rent for example) that far exceeds your ATM limit and your bank will not raise your daily limit. In that case I would not pre-pay, I would do the transaction, then go on-line and transfer the funds from your bank to credit card to pay the balance. You will still be hit with any transaction fees and probably interest for some period, but depending on your card, the sum total of fees and interest would probably be less than converting cash at a bank which may be in the 5% range, plus the eliminate need to carry large amounts of cash.

Posted by
12172 posts

Even if you prepay, a cash advance on a credit card still comes with hefty fees. You shouldn't have interest because you have a negative balance but it won't be free.