Please sign in to post.

Exchanging Dollars for GB Pounds

Should I exchange my money at Heathrow or find somewhere else in London?

Posted by
687 posts

Neither. You should use an ATM. Find out what fees your bank will charge - you may want to open a Credit Union or Capital One account for travel if the fees are high. Notify your bank and credit card company (check their fees too) of the dates you'll be traveling.

Posted by
8700 posts

Kathy has it right! General rule of thumb: Use credit cards for major purchases and get cash from ATMs for everything else. For detailed information, read this helpful article by Rick Steves.

Posted by
1986 posts

If I had to do it, I would go to a bank. Have no idea how much I would save, but feels better to me than a money changer, and definitely a better rate than a storekeeper is going to give you

Posted by
687 posts

@Brian: 1. You shouldn't be doing it at all
2. The exchange counters in the airports should be fine

Posted by
833 posts

Like others have mentioned, ATMs are the best option. However, I want to actually answer your question on exchanging money: I, personally, like arriving with some local currency on me. Last year I arrived in Rome with 100 euro and was glad because I was able to catch a taxi right away, without having to exchange money at the airport. In this case, I would suggest visiting a bank at home and exchanging money through them. Commerce, for example, will do it for free if you are a member (or if you come with a member to do it). Airport exchange counters are usually going to be much more expensive than a bank would be. The exchange rate is not in your favor. Even if a bank charges a fee of $5 or such, it is usually better than using an airport service. If you are unable for some reason to use your debit card at an ATM to withdraw pounds, then I would visit a bank.

Posted by
32830 posts

This is a Duplicate Posting. There are more answers, not having the benefit of this discussion, on a thread in North where this would be best put. Scattering duplicates doesn't give a better result. Please consider deleting this thread and concentrating your thread. Your volunteer helpers will thank you.