Please sign in to post.

Cash Question

I am not exchanging all my money before I leave and I plan to use cash machines when I get to Italy...but a friend told me not to exchange anything that I can just get cash out when I get there and can even get it at the airport. She does travel a lot...but I am not sure how I feel about going to Italy without any exchanged cash? If I got any exchanged it would just be a couple hundred in Euros. Thoughts?

Posted by
32222 posts

Angie, I'd suggest taking at least 100€ for "travel expenses", as that's the method I use (200€ would be fine also). That will provide some funds to buy a meal, Taxi fare or whatever until you get settled in your Hotel and locate the nearest ATM's (Bancomat in Italy). You can certainly use ATM's in the airport, however I'm usually too tired and miserable at the end of a long flight, so just want to get OUT of there and get to my Hotel. A few notes regarding ATM use in Europe. In most cases, your travel funds must be in a chequing account, with a four-number PIN. It would be a good idea to review your daily withdrawal limits with your Bank (considering foreign exchange will be included in the amounts) AND be sure to notify them of the dates you'll be abroad so they don't "freeze" your Card! It would also be a REALLY good idea to pack along a "backup" ATM card in case of problems with the primary card (I've had that happen!) and at least one credit card. Where are you going in Italy? Be sure to wear a Money Belt! Happy travels!

Posted by
10 posts

We start out in Rome and get on a cruise ship that hits Portofino, La Spezia, Monaco, and St. Tropez. yes...I have a money belt. :) thanks.

Posted by
16397 posts

We also take 100 euros or so just to start out. Actually I order an odd amount from the bank, like 135 euros, to be sure of getting small bills in addition to the large ones. You don't want to try paying a 6-euro taxi bill with a 50!

Posted by
2374 posts

We do the same, about 100 euro. At least that way when we get to airport and want coffee or something, we don't have to wait in line at ATM. Also, you say you are not sure about going to Italy with no exchange money so go with your gut and get some money before you go. Why worry about this on your way over?

Posted by
10 posts

thanks all. I just ordered $150 Euro's from my bank...I pick it up tomorrow...leave on Wednesday. Appreciate your quick responses. I feel much better now.

Posted by
19115 posts

If you plan on going back over often, make sure you bring €100 or so back with you to start your next trip. I did that the first time in 2000 when the Euro was $0.89. Now it's $1.46. Pretty good return on my investment. Someone posted here recently about arriving somewhere, I think it was Italy, and finding a long line for the airport ATM. They had brought Euro with them, so they were able to skip the lines.

Posted by
1064 posts

I used to take the advice of friends to just wait until I get to my destination and use my debit card to get euros from an ATM. That always worked until the time in Vienna on a Sunday when it did not. I was to the point of hocking my watch, but no one wanted a Timex. I exchanged about $40 for euros at a ridiculously high rate, and my wife drew out her Christmas funds ($50 or $60) from her credit union account. I never found out why the bank did not recognize my account, even though I had notified them in advance. But it took until the next morning to finally get things working right. Since then, I have followed the advice above about bringing 100 euros with me, and then taking 100 euros back home for the next trip. I also now have a separate debit card with my credit union account, and I recommend that you take two debit cards with you to avoid situations like this. Ditto for credit cards. You never know when a bank will let you down.

Posted by
1840 posts

Its nice to have some money converted when you get there so the first thing you have to do is not scurry around worrying where an ATM is.

Posted by
2788 posts

I have never had a problem in getting cash from an ATM at whatever airport we land in when arriving in Europe. I have never worried or scurried around looking for one either but then I go there every year so maybe that helps. Or, are we just lucky?

Posted by
2788 posts

I have never had a problem in getting cash from an ATM at whatever airport we land in when arriving in Europe. I have never worried or scurried around looking for one either but then I go there every year so maybe that helps. Or, are we just lucky?

Posted by
1840 posts

Charlie, That's because you are much younger than I. The toilet is the first thing I'm looking for.

Posted by
5678 posts

Charlie, I think you're lucky. The question is, do you want to use your luck up on the ATM gods or save it up for a later need. ; ) Of course, this require accepting the concept that luck is occasionally bankable. Pam

Posted by
2115 posts

Charlie, yes, you have been lucky. It only takes ONE time to mess up (or inconvenience is a better word) part of a trip. Individual magnetic strips on cards go bad at anytime, and...... .....at the risk of making anyone think I am some nutty worry-wart (just a retired banker), The Wall Street Journal had a great article last week that the Pentagon has declared cyber terrorism an Act of War meriting attack responses. The only problem is being sure the US knows for sure WHO caused the act. This is relevant only because every day there are cyber terrorists desperately trying to shut down our (and other countries') electronic financial systems. We never imagined 9/11 and grounded planes would happen. Let's hope we never experience a true financial system meltdown.....much less that any one of us is in a foreign country when it happens. Talk to the EVPs of data security at any large financial institution....I bet they land with a few euro. A few euro in the pocket (rephrase: money belt) is prudent.

Posted by
124 posts

I have been blasted for this before, but oh well.... here goes again. I (and my wife) both always take at least $1000 up to $2000 in Yankee Dollars...in the denomination of newer 50's (redish in color printed since 2006). A stack of 20 or even 40 in new crisp bills fits nicely in your money belt, you don't hardly know they are there. So....when you go to the bank to get Euros, no problems, no one concerned about counterfeit bills like when you try to use 100's. As for exchange rate, about .03 per dollar extra over using ATM cash withdrawls, or CC purchases. That is a small price to pay for the confidence you get from not having to rely soley on the Electronic Gods! Of course, I alway bring back 150-200 Euros each time, so I have enough for the next trip, to get me by on that first day till I am able to get to a bank. I also take a debit card along from 2 different banks, just in case, but use them only on a Sat or Sunday if I run short of cash. Dan.

Posted by
12172 posts

I don't think there is an advantage to exchanging money ahead of time. I've never had trouble finding an ATM (or ten) between the arriving flight gate and the airport exit. I do carry several hundred US dollars to exchange in an emergency. Typically, the dollars return home without being exchanged (saving the cost of exchanging them to a foreign currency and back). The one exception I can think of is when you're renting an apartment that must be paid in cash on arrival. In that case, the amount of currency you will need exceeds what you can pull from an ATM in one day.

Posted by
687 posts

I've never changed money ahead of time either. If there isn't an ATM (and if you're arriving in a European airport or train station that's highly unlikely) there always seems to be at least one bureau de change. I do take along some $100 and $50 bills for emergencies.

Posted by
23341 posts

You do what you are comfortable with doing. Personally I see no advantage to exchanging at a bank. But I will bet the exchange rate is higher than 3% over the ATM rate. It is hard to get under a 5% mark up in the US, so why would European bank be any different? We are all dependent on the Electronic Gods from the airline ticket to the hotel reservation. In fifteen years of travel with ATMs we have never had a problem. From time to time in the earlier days we would have an ATM not work but the next one did. Now it has been several years since we have had any problems. Remember the locals are just as devoted to their ATMs as we are and way more locals are using them than tourists.