Please sign in to post.

Laptop

I'm considering bringing my Macbook for a one-month backpacking trip, to transfer pictures, journal, communicate with family ect.. Would anyone advise against bringing it along?

Posted by
23282 posts

Would not advise against but you have to determine weight and other trade offs. We have carried a netbook before but will probably shift to a iPad. Should something happen to it, it is less expensive than a laptop.

Posted by
5678 posts

I brought my laptop with me on my last two trips to do just what you've described. I too am thinking about getting an iPad for my next trip. Pam

Posted by
32212 posts

Alex, Although I use a MacBook Pro at home there's no way I'm travelling with it, as it's too large, too heavy and too expensive! If it were every lost, damaged or stolen, it would be a major financial hardship! I travelled with a Netbook last year for the first time, and it will be with me on every trip from now on. While Netbooks require a few "compromises" they're an excellent travel accessory - light, easy to carry and can handle most functions well. They don't really have the "horsepower" for photo processing, but I can live with that. Travelling with a $400 computer is MUCH less worry than one that's $2K+. Cheers!

Posted by
1152 posts

You asked, " Would anyone advise against bringing it along?" Personally, for me, I wouldn't take it. Have you been on backpacking trips before? I carried a netbook in my backpack on my last trip and although, yes, it was very convenient to have a computer along, I quickly grew very tired of the added weight. Forget how expensive the Macbook would be if something happened to it. To me it would be extra pounds I'd just as soon do without. When they come up with a real computer that weighs about 6 ounces, I might consider it. Otherwise, I'm going the smartphone route. The lower weight is worth the size (and functionality) trade off.

Posted by
59 posts

Of the things you mentioned, the only thing you can't do with a smartphone is transfer pictures from an SD or other media card from your camera to store on your smartphone. Even if there are Android phones that let you do it, they wouldn't have enough internal memory to hold many pictures. You can transfer images to an iPad (Camera Connection Kit) and most Android tablets. However, an iPad 2 still weighs 1.33 pounds (601g) without a cover, case, or accessories and only the 3g models have a GPS if that is one of the features you want to use. An iPod Touch (no GPS) is the least expensive, multi-purpose iOS device. I'll be taking one with me this trip as I'll be using it for its apps, music, videos, as a Kindle and iBooks reader with guidebooks and for taking notes. I have a Bluetooth keyboard (11 ounces) that I keep in my luggage, but don't carry in my daypack that I use to type.