Please sign in to post.

Backpack

Best backpack for backpacking to use?

Posted by
1883 posts

OSPREY. Check them out at REI, and get fitted, and don't go for the biggest one....you only need 2500 cubic inches max for backpacking in Europe. Can't tell you which pack is best for you...your torso length and needs will determine that....but OSPREY is a great brand and pricing is reasonable for what you are getting as well.

Posted by
687 posts

I've been using the same Eagle Creek convertible for ten years. Bought from REI - if you live near one you should definitely stop by and try on their packs.

Posted by
5678 posts

I want to second the suggestion that you get fitted for the backpack. I first bought one that hadn't been fitted and it was very uncomfortable. I ended up giving it to a relative. I then went to REI and they made sure I got one that fitted me. They have weights that can simulate a full pack so you really can get a good idea of what it's like to walk with a full pack. Pam

Posted by
1806 posts

2nd Eagle Creek packs. Mine fell out of unsecured luggage hold of a coach bus driving 70mph on a New Zealand highway. Was clipped by several cars also traveling at same speed. Got it back with minor scratches on outside and everything inside (including glass souvenirs wrapped up inside pack) was in perfect shape when retrieved pack. Now THAT is a great product & worth every penny. Held up beautifully during a year long round the world trip and many subsequent trips after. Lifetime guarantee that if anything ever breaks or tears, pack will be repaired or replaced by Eagle Creek. So far have had no problems and pack still great.

Posted by
32216 posts

Alex, I use both Eagle Creek and Osprey Packs and would recommend either one. I most definitely agree with the others that proper fitting according to your torso length is the most important criteria to consider in purchasing a Pack. Some of the other features you might consider: > Panel load (zippers) or Top load (drawstring) design. I prefer panel load models as all the contents are easily accessible and the packs can be secured to provide a minimum level of security. Some top load models have several access points, which makes them difficult to secure. With those that only have access at the top, it's quite awkward to retrieve items at the bottom. > Detachable Daypack. The Daypack works great for carry-on when the main Pack has to be checked. > Stowable Harness. Being able to stow the harness behind a zippered panel during air travel will minimize damage from airport conveyor systems. Good luck with your decision!

Posted by
32825 posts

Pamela now of the Big Apple I first bought one that hadn't been fitted and it was very uncomfortable. I ended up giving it to a relative. Why? Didn't you like them?