Please sign in to post.

Interlaken, Switzerland

We are going to stay in Interlaken for 2 nights in August. There will be 2 adults and 3 teenagers. Any suggestions for a place to stay and things to do while we are there? Thanks!

Posted by
347 posts

We stayed in the Backpacker's Villa in Interlaken and loved it. We did spend a lot of time in Lauterbrunnen, hiking, taking gondola rides, and seeing the Trummelbachfalle. :)

Posted by
1589 posts

Take the local train for 15 minutes and stay in Lauterbrunnen instead. Plenty of places there and the scenery is great. Take the tram up to Murren. Take the gondola even higher.

Posted by
32212 posts

Stacy, Interlaken is somewhat of an "old world" style resort town, so it tends to be a bit "pricey". However there are some reasonably priced accommodations in the Switzerland Guidebook. I agree with the previous reply that you might enjoy staying in the Lauterbrunnen Valley more than Interlaken. It's the "preferred" spot for most here, and you could consider either Lauterbrunnen, Mürren or even Gimmelwald. In choosing which place to stay, you'll need to consider what type of activites might be preferred by your teenagers. Interlaken would provide stores and "city" attractions. The areas in the Lauterbrunnen Valley are more suited for hiking and other outdoor activities. There are lots of choices for "things to do" (again, check the Guidebook): > Hiking - there are LOTS of possibilities for hiking. Taking the Allmend-Hubel Funicular from Mürren and then hiking down is very easy and scenic. Check This for some ideas. > Take the Cable Car to the Schilthorn and have a fine hot meal in one of the world's first revolving restaurants, while watching the panorama of the Eiger, Monch & Jungfrau pass by the windows. The James Bond movie On Her Majesty's Secret Service was partially filmed there. > Try Paragliding in the Swiss Alps. It provides a unique perspective on the area, and is a lot of fun! > Take the Jungfraujoch (a bit pricey) or explore Trummelbach Falls. One possibility that occurred to me, is that if you stayed in Gimmelwald the two adults could stay in Esther's or the Pensione, and the three teenagers in the legendary Mountain Hostel. Might be an interesting experience for them! Happy travels!

Posted by
32 posts

I would also recommend staying in the Lauterbrunnen valley instead of Interlaken. It's one of the most beautiful valleys anywhere. Three years ago my husband and I and our 11 year old grandson stayed at the Hotel Staubbach for 3 nights. It was warm and friendly and had great views of the valley.
You will love the area.

Posted by
233 posts

I echo Cary. I enjoyed my stay at the Backpacker's Villa and spent most of my time walking, hiking, and taking the lifts in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. My brother and his friend also visited a couple of years ago and want to go back ASAP. What a wonderful place to visit! Have a great time!

Posted by
122 posts

We stayed in Murren and we thought we were in heaven. I'd highly recommend it. Enjoy Switzerland!

Posted by
166 posts

If you want to stay in Interlaken, check-out the Hotel Splendid, excellent breakfast. Also, Lake Thun and Lake Brienz offer boat tours as a change of pace from hiking. Both lakes are beautiful!