Please sign in to post.

Connecting Flights

I have a flight connection time of 1hr. 5min in Dusseldorf, and I will be coming in from Canada, and continuing to Vienna.... On the way back via another country I'm flying to Warsaw and also a 1hr. 5min connection to Toronto....I have to change planes at both airports (Dusseldorf on the way in and Warsaw on the way home) and don't know if there is a terminal change when coming from an international destination. Does anyone know this, and if this is enough time to connect? Thanks so much for your time...

Posted by
84 posts

It is really hard to predict. I assume it is doable or the airline would not make it an option. That being said, I would print out maps of the airports so you can find your way between gates quickly. Also, take a change of clothes and anything important in your carry-on (on the way there) just in case, as well as the address for your first stop in Vienna in case your luggage is delayed. Take photos of your suitcases in case they are lost. Good luck.

Posted by
32212 posts

Stacey, The airlines will usually only issue tickets with "legal" connections, so the times should be adequate. During a flight last year, I had a connection in Frankfurt for a flight to Rome. I questioned both the Travel Agent and flight crew about the short time and was assured that it would be fine. As it turned out, I was at the boarding gate for the next flight in 20-minutes! If possible, try to choose a seat close to the front of the aircraft so that you can disembark quickly. I think that was one reason I was able to keep the connecting time so short. Happy travels!

Posted by
1078 posts

Good luck in Warsaw. We had a "legal connect" there last May and missed the flight because of the huge backup and construction in the security area. Hope things have cleared up by now.

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Stacey. Because the airline issued the connections, they are responsible for getting you on the flight to Vienna and the flight to Toronto. If you miss a flight, they have to get you on the next available one. How long is your trip? I strongly suggest that you carry on your luggage to avoid losing it - even if you make the flight, your checked luggage might not. And even though the airline issued the connection, they may change it when you arrive at the airport. I flew from Brussels to Chicago with a change in London of 90 minutes. When I checked in at the airport in Brussels, they told me that they needed to put me on an earlier flight to London because the connection time there was less than 2 hours. I was able to catch the earlier flight but I wondered why the airline would issue a connection like that if it didn't meet the required time for a change.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks so much for your replies. I like the idea of taking a photo of your luggage, sitting close to the front of the plane, and printing a map of the airport, to know where you are going... It was suggested by a friend who travels frequently, to also put your name and address inside your luggage in case of a tag coming loose. I will be away for 10 days, so just taking carry on will be hard. I heard that Luftansa has lost luggage frequently in connections from London to Barcelona....Hopefully they have fixed that issue! I'm flying on points, so I'll keep checking for direct flights in case they come up.... Thanks again I appreciate it!

Posted by
1976 posts

A carry-on for 10 days is easy if you follow Rick's packing list, found on this site. Everything will fit well in a carryon-size suitcase. Before I tried his packing tips I thought he was crazy but now I wouldn't go back to the way I used to pack.