Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Trip

After doing a 9 day cruise of the Danube, my wife and I are spending 6 more days touring Switzerland this summer and have a couple questions about what type of rail passes to buy and where to stay at two of the regions that we are visiting. Here are my questions.
1) On July 30th we will take a train from Nuremberg Germany to Lucern, Switzerland and spend three nights in Lucern (where we have reservations at Des Alpes on the Royce River). We have been told to buy tickets to Lucern at least 90 days in advance and we can get them for half price (15 Euro ea.). Sounds like a good deal to us. However, not sure what type of ticket(s) to buy for the rest of trip. We plan to take day train trips (Mt. Pilatmus, Cruise Lake Lucern, and others from Lucern). We will then (on August 2) go to Wegen, Grindelwald, Interlaken area and stay their until August 4th. Need suggestions on where to stay at that location. We want to take as many train and cable trips as possible while in this area. (again, not sure what type of pass will be best to cover this daily exploring) 3) Lastly, we will go towards Geneva where we fly out the morning of the 5th of August. Need suggestions on where to stay in either Montreaux or Geneva the night of the 4th, that will allow us to catch a 10 am flight out on the 5th. Any and all input appreciated. Thrutch

Posted by
32757 posts

Hi bill, that sounds like a fun trip. Have you got the Rick Steves' Switzerland guide book yet? Most of what you are looking for in accommodation, hikes, trains, cable cars, etc., is covered in great detail in the chapter on that area, even a map (well by RS standards) of the various trails. I'd make that my first stop when planning the trip to the Berner Oberland.