Please sign in to post.

Garmin 275T with European Maps - No longer available?

I'm been thinking about a GPS for driving in Italy for a couple weeks and have been advised the Garmin 275T is a pretty good unit, and the only one with European Maps standard. (Garmin that is...) I bid on a couple units on Ebay and used ones sold for $137. Fry's Electronics is selling them right now for $130. They are "No longer being carried" and I take this to mean that Garmin is no longer offering them. Most of the Fry's stores in the Los Angeles area have 2 or 3 units, according to the sales guy I talked to. Carpe Garmin.

Posted by
524 posts

Just a suggestion, but how about posting this question on only ONE of the message boards instead of ALL of them. I've noticed over years of reading these boards that people quickly tire of seeing the same question by the same poster posted in multiple locations, and even start warning other board contributors about these multiple posts, ending up in nobody wanting to respond to your question. Result is, you take up much bandwidth and don't get the response you deserve. Speaking personally, your question became less and less compelling the more I saw it posted elsewhere. I'd like to say "maybe that's just me", but judging from prior responses to similar multi-posts, it's not just me. Again, just a suggestion.

Posted by
180 posts

The 275T is over 2 years old which, for a Garmin Nuvi, is pretty close to the end of the sale cycle. However, according to Garmin it has not been discontinued. If I remember correctly, that Nuvi does not include free map updates. Not a big deal if you only stick to major roads in Europe, but a pain if you want to be able to search for points of interest (or are willing to pay for updates). Personally, I prefer Navigon on my iPhone. $75, spectacular maps and free updates. Pete

Posted by
22 posts

I bought the same unit on Amazon for $133 last month. I was able to update both the North America and Europe maps. I bought the unit for a trip t Europe this Sept. However, it seemed to work well with the few tests I tried.

Posted by
9363 posts

Did you have a question?
It has not been discontinued. It is still available, according to Garmin (but maybe not to Fry's). The 775T and the 2370LT both come with European maps preloaded, also. The sky isn't falling after all, Chicken Little!

Posted by
244 posts

@ Mike: I only read the Italy board. I figured that other travelers might do the same. I thought this was time sensitive (a few units available at Fry's) so wanted the community to know about it. That's why I posted on all boards. @ Pete True, no s. We use our Droid for navigating at home, but alas, data services in Europe are prohibitively expensive. I don't think they are planning to move the Eiffel Tower or St. Peter's Basilica. @ Ben I bought this for a trip in June. When two units just sold on Ebay for $137, I figured 130 was a deal. @ Nancy No.
That was news to me about the 775T and 2370. If I knew that I probably would not have posted. People on the Italy board said the 275T was the best deal going. Cluck, Cluck.

Posted by
9363 posts

Well, it is still a good deal.... but even if it were discontinued with nothing from Garmin to replace it, you could always go to TomTom .... or Magellan....

Posted by
244 posts

My purpose in pointing out that the 275T was being discontinued was not to discourage people from buying it. Quite the opposite, it was to encourage anyone near a Fry's to go snap one up if they were thinking about buying one, like I did.