Please sign in to post.

ATM's

Can I use my Visa debit card at ATM's in France even it does not contain a chip?

Posted by
5678 posts

Debit cards work in ATM's. Where they don't work are kiosks on toll roads or gas stations with no attendants. I've had some stores refuse it, but any store that caters to tourists can handle our cards. Pam

Posted by
19100 posts

Where????? I believe non-chip card will still work in ATMs. I believe the places they might not work are unmanned gas stations, toll booths, and some ticket automats.

Posted by
864 posts

Yes, yes and yes. The chip issue comes in when you try to make a point to point purchase from Adree' the cheese guy, Maurice the bistro guy or a gas station, and even then not always. That said, call your bank and get a chip enhanced card if you can. I had (notice the word had) a Visa card (not chip enhanced) and a CITI card (chip enhanced). When in Rome in Oct I was asked to sign my bistro bill in front of the manager when I used Visa but not the chip enhanced CITI card. Frankly I think the manager wanted to check me out and say, "well, this is a senior aged, normal looking American tourist woman, how bad can it be?" Just kidding, sorta.