Please sign in to post.

Civita Day Pack

I will be wearing a lot of tank tops in Europe this summer so I want to know if the straps on the Civita day pack are soft enough to sit directly on my skin for hours? My husband is rugged and doesn't care but I am very picky about stuff rubbing on my skin and chafing. We are thinking of purchasing 2 of them.

Posted by
833 posts

Restrictions also go for your legs, so have an extra scarf you can wrap around your legs if needed.

Posted by
10229 posts

Yes, the straps are kind of a microfiber type material and are very soft.

Posted by
102 posts

I don't wear tank tops, but have found the whole backpack to be made of very soft material, including the straps. I used it on two trips and am glad I have it.

Posted by
23282 posts

Just keep in mind that tank tops can limit access to many tourists sites.

Posted by
515 posts

Alyce, the Civita bag is super soft and shouldn't be a problem for you. As you pack your Civita, include a lightweight scarf/wrap to solve the issue of entry into churches and any other place that doesn't allow bare arms and shoulders.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you for the great information. Also, thanks for reminding me about the entrance into churches, etc. It has been 32 years since I've been to Europe and I forgot about the restrictions.

Posted by
32212 posts

Alyce, As the others have said, the Civita Daypack is constructed of a soft microfibre material, and is very soft. Depending on how heavily it's packed, I doubt there would be a problem with chafing. You didn't specify what types of items you normally carry in a Daypack, but one point to keep in mind is that the Civita bag is a "light duty" Pack and not designed for heavy gear. It will easily handle a couple of Guidebooks, water, etc. but two or three large bottles of wine would not be a good idea. In addition to it's use as a Daypack, it works great as a substitute pillow with a coat rolled up inside. Although I always have my regular Daypack on trips, I normally pack a Civita bag as well, as it's light, packs completely flat and is so darn easy to use. As it's been awhile since you were last in Europe, I'm sure you'll notice many changes. If you haven't bought them already, you may want to add some Money Belts to your order as well. Happy travels!

Posted by
4407 posts

The fabric is like a thin, peachskin-type material...if that helps any. Kinda 'fuzzy', but not in a rough or shedding kind of way. I think you'll be very comfortable. Definitely not like most backpack straps - ouch!

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks again for the great information. About those restrictions on entrance to churches, etc., are shorts okay?

Posted by
2091 posts

Alyce, with the shorts, will your knees be showing? If they are then you probably won't be allowed in.

Posted by
787 posts

With respect to entering churches, I've been surprised at the (extremely short) length of skirts on young women who have NOT been stopped from entering churches. On "church days," I usually wear a skirt, which stops a bit above my knees (or pants). A couple of times we messed up, and my husband was wearing shorts when we wanted to enter churches - we were never stopped. And he was wearing just "regular" shorts, not those horrid long cargo-short things. Not that you should be cavalier about the restrictions entering churches, but don't worry too much. My daughter often wears sleeveless shirts, so we would just bring a light sweater (in my day bag) to put on if necessary.

Posted by
4407 posts

If you're going to Italy, be prepared to wait outside while everyone else goes inside the churches. Just bring a wrap of some sort for your shoulders (long scarf or sweater) and wear pants or a skirt below your knees and you should be fine. And once inside don't let the scarf slide down your arms...unless you like being yelled at in Italian... Keep your scarf in your new Civita Bag ;-)