Please sign in to post.

Europe in August

I have been told that traveling in Europe in August is not good because it is the month when the EU take all of their vacations and it is over crowded and there are shortages - is this true or is it a perfectly good time to travel there?

Posted by
19118 posts

Four of my nine recreational trips to Germany have started in August. I've never noticed a problem.

Posted by
8965 posts

Well, Europe is a continent made up of dozens of countries, so why not re-phrase your question about which countries you were interested in going to. School vacations happen at different times too. Wondering who told you there were shortages here? Shortages of what, food, water, fuel?

Posted by
813 posts

Yes many European take their vacations in August. Is it busier at many tourist spots than say February? Sure. Should that deter you? Depends on what you're looking for. To put it in perspective, would you not visit downtown Seattle on a Saturday afternoon because it's really busy?

Posted by
791 posts

Depends where you're going. Avoid Italy in August, the entire country goes on vacation. Avoid the Alps as well as it's crowded with all the Germans and Dutch heading down to Italy, many of them towing their huge trailers.

Posted by
4535 posts

In relative terms, Scandinavia is much cheaper in August and the long days make it the perfect time to visit. The Greek Islands on the other hand, are at the peak of their crowds and heat. Tourist sites, hotels and restaurants will be open because that's when the most tourists are coming. But many local businesses shut down at various times throughout July and August. And in many countries, people are returning to work by mid-August.

Posted by
1358 posts

I've got to agree with Rik on the traffic heading through Germany down to Italy in August. Last time we were there in August, it was bumper-to-bumper Dutch cars with campers on the back all the way on the autobahn. Take the train instead. The only other difference I noticed in August was in Paris, where some of the mom-and-pop places were closed. No reason to avoid it, though. DO make sure you have reservations wherever you're going, though.

Posted by
800 posts

We've done most of our family Europe trips in late July/early August because that is when our kids were available. Not knowing where you are going the answer is yes, it is more crowded and yes, it is a perfectly good time to travel. But it is all relative - we've been to Spain and France in the winter when there were NO crowds - it was great, but also snowy, cold, rainy. Some people wouldn't find that a good time to travel. But even in the busiest times we found no "shortages" - unless you mean a shortage of hotel rooms - and even then it is more a matter of perhaps not getting into exactly the place you want or the price being higher because it is "high season".

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you one and all for your responses - they varied a little but pretty much were in agreement about it being busier in August. I pretty much knew that already, but it doesn't sound like critical mass. I was in England years ago in August, and didn't notice anything but I wasn't really looking for it either. I am going to London, Paris, Rome and then Israel. Israel is in Sept., but wanted to get the European part of the trip over with first - that means August. We plan to take the rail through Europe to avoid road congestion. That also means that we will be in Italy the end of August/first of Sept. Hopefully it won't be too crowded. I don't mind crowds though so I guess it should be a good time for all!

Posted by
358 posts

The main reason I would not go to europe in august is due to the heat. In France especially in Paris is a bad time to visit as the French take their vacations in august prior to the new school year and some of the stores are closed.

Posted by
14580 posts

Hi, On several of my trips I was there in August. On 1 Aug. lots and lots of the French take their vacation and, as mentioned above, one feature of the roads in northern France is the Dutch hauling their Wohnwagen. There is also the factor of the heat, which can get rather oppressive and stifling, especially if that bothers you. You have to contend with more crowds at the sites and on the Paris Metro than you would, say, in May. Certain hotels offer discounted rates in August when I was there. All in all, travelling in Europe in August has both advantages and disadvantages. I rather be there in August than in May...I don't mind the crowds.

Posted by
2376 posts

If staying in Paris, be sure your hotel has AC as can get very hot in August.

Posted by
3551 posts

you will def need a reservation for your lodging. But if that is the only month you can go -then go, reserve lodging and enjoy. It is not a prob but certainly busier than June.

Posted by
691 posts

We traveled in August twice in the last 6 years, both times were great regarding weather and crowds, i would definitely travel in August again, but make sure to reserve your lodging in advance, that could be a problem.