Please sign in to post.

berner oberland

My husband and I will be traveling to Murren, Switzerland from May 25-30th. Are the restaurants and shops open in late may? We want to hike & bike, how is the weather in late May.

Posted by
7209 posts

I've been during your dates on several occasions. Yes, restaurants and shops are open. There aren't a whole lot of shops PERIOD in Mürren. The wildflowers will be blooming and cows are still being herded from one pasture to another usually down the middle of the paved road (walkway) in Mürren. Stager Stubli restaurant is probably the largest and most well known in Mürren. Several of the hotels have restaurants including Alpenruh, Blumenthal, Edelweiss. Hopefully you will see lots of sunshine and clear blue skies although my last trip in June 2010 saw mostly rain rain rain. You may even see snow. Mountain weather is unpredictable. Mürren is a beautiful village!

Posted by
12040 posts

Late May is usually after the end of the shoulder season, so most businesses should be open. Don't expect optimal weather , but enjoy it if you get it. And you didn't ask, but I'll just mention this to the crowd, because the topic comes up every now and again. Most of the regular posters here know that large parts of the James Bond film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" were filmed in the Berner Oberland. Another fairly recent movie that also features this region is the German film "Nordwand" (North Face"). It's about an attempt to climb the north wall of the Eiger. Pretty good movie.

Posted by
6898 posts

We were there in early May and the everything was open. Not crowded yet but open. Weather was great and, as Tim has noted, the wildflowers were in full bloom and the cows were being walked up to higher pastures. The restaurant Stager Stuli is great and probably the only really independent place to eat. Other restaurants are in the hotels. If you want a couple more shops, you'll have to go across the valley to Wengen or if you want even more, you will have to go into Interlaken.