Please sign in to post.

Surge protectors..

I'll be taking a portable hard drive to download daily pictures while on trip to China. Where do I find a travel surge protector so I don't fry my hardware in the process.

Posted by
32198 posts

Al, you might try Magellans. They have a good line of products, and the service is fast (especially if you have them ship FedEx or whatever).

I don't normally worry about Surge Protectors in Europe, but not sure how reliable the electrical system is in China? A North American Surge Protector won't be of any use, as these are designed for 115VAC electrical systems.

Good luck!

Posted by
3 posts

How about if I plugged it in to the converter then plugged the devise in to that?

Posted by
32198 posts

Al, are you sure that you'll need a Voltage Converter? Many electronic devices these days are designed to operate on electrical systems from 100-240VAC, 50 or 60 Hz. In many cases, only a Plug Adapter is needed. You'll need to check the power supply of EACH of the devices you'll be taking with you.

Yes, I suppose you could connect the Voltage Converter to the outlet and then connect the Surge Protector to that, however I'm not sure there would be much point. If the Voltage Converter uses solid-state conversion, I suspect it will attenuate spikes to a certain extent (I'd have to check?). If the Converter uses Transformer conversion, the output voltage will precisely follow the input.

You might check www.kropla.com under "World Electrical systems" to find out what sort of electrical conditions you can expect in China?

Cheers!

Posted by
808 posts

Why not buy your surge protector when you get there? Then you'll have one for the next time. Or leave it behind, give it to someone when you're leaving. Just a thought...