Please sign in to post.

Air fares

Is $1,000.00 per person for a round trip flight to Europe reasonable? We plan to fly in August from the east coast to either Italy or Germany. Any suggestions for cheap flights would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick

Posted by
9109 posts

During the summer months $1000 dollars is a common fare. With the troubles in Egypt (Suez Canal), and the steady increase in fuel prices, it wouldn't surprise me to see prices even higher than that in the coming weeks.

Posted by
646 posts

I just booked a flight on Aer Lingus. JFK to Rome with one stop over in Dublin. Round trip for one is currently $623.00. After searching extensively and not seeing much in the $1,000.00 and under range, Aer Lingus was a great surprise. While I preferred non-stop, this price was too good to pass up. They have good reviews. However, recently they have been involved in a labor dispute with the cabin crews which I understand has resulted in some flight cancellations. They however get kudos for finding alternative flights. Hope they will have it resolved by September when I travel.

Posted by
864 posts

I've been looking for good deals (much laughter here) and found Icelandair to be a good fit for me (IN MAY not AUGUST). With all the disruptions due to weather etc., unrest in the middle east (think jet fuel here) and on an on travelers from the US to Europe may be in for a rough ride especially during peak travel season. This may be a time to think about a car trip around the U.S. (well, the national parks will be a nightmare but Northern U.S. and into Canada can be fantastic.) Not Europe FOR SURE but we got some damn fine scenery in this country.

Posted by
1525 posts

I would look at Aer Lingus as well - they have connections to other European cities at good prices. But September isn't summer. Don't expect a $650 fare in August, at least not this year.